Chapter 36-Part 1: Stirrings in the Night

(If you arrived here without a little Christmas present from me in the form of a hidden chapter, then have no fear! Follow and Refresh and it will be awaiting you under your Wattpad tree.  If you still can't access it, here is the link: https://www.wattpad.com/350411405-persuasion-in-the-pantry-maid-for-more-1-secret .  Enjoy!)

Verushka left the powder room with her head full of intrigues and titbits from the eager mouths of the other debutantes and their aspiring mothers. Over the course of the second night of dancing and dinner she had managed to successfully ingratiate herself with a number of her new peers. They offered her advice on the best lace to use, what gatherings to attend during the season and who were the most eligible bachelors – no surprise there. Almost everyone seemed all too obliging to befriend her and it was a welcome Verushka intended to use to honour her deal with the Duchess of Bexley.

Liara had once told Verushka about a rather obscure creature called a chameleon, with large eyes and remarkable skin that lived in the jungles of Africa. Reportedly, it had the ability to change its colours to blend into its surroundings as a means of protective camouflage. The girls had often joked at their similarities but it was not until that moment that Verushka truly felt the benefit of such a skill. She flirted, danced and drank her way into the good graces of the ton with very little effort or strain on her part. There was, however, one severe personage that hovered unforgivingly at the edge of the ballroom, the Duchess of Wyverstone. Her step-mother did her best to hide her irritation but in quiet moments when only family was present, her hatred was unconfined. Inconveniently she came with a clique of individuals who represented England's oldest and most powerful families who were obviously well connected with the Duchess of Wyvernstone and showed no kind regard for the newest addition to the ton, despite her best efforts.

Verushka had managed to successfully avoid them and hoped to continue to do so as she retraced her steps back to the ballroom, mentally tallying the dates of an earl's departure from England when she bumped into her brother.

"Oh, hello bro- brah...brethren," she stammered over her gaff.

Jay arched an amused brow. "Brethren?" he questioned.

"Well, uh, yeah. You know we are kind of like family now." She glanced around the empty hall to ensure they were alone before continuing. "And we are working together, so you know, I kind of think that it applies. Don't you?"

Jay frowned in her direction. "Uh... sure. I was just coming to check on you, and make sure you are acclimating well to the ton."

Verushka's mouth curled into a beaming smile. "You were worried about me."

Jay's face remained an impassive mask. "You are my ward, so it is my job to take care of you now." He found the unguarded joy in Verushka's eyes slightly disconcerting so he averted his gaze and continued. "Is your chamber to your liking?"

Verushka's eyes twinkled with laughter. "Yes, it's lovely. Thank you."

"And the furnishings? They are yours to alter as you wish," he added.

"No, they are perfect just as they are." She bounced a little on the balls of her feet.

"And your clothes, are they acceptable?"

"Oh, yes. They are all beautiful." She swished her pastel blue satin ball gown from side to side to enjoy the mellifluous sound of the voluminous underskirts. Tonight the Duchess of Bexley had commissioned a softly feminine dress so stunning in its simplicity that she doubted that any female would not feel pretty to wear it. There was no lace or trimming such as the night before, just clean and delicate lines accompanied by a diaphanous shawl and the Wyvernstone pearl earrings.