Chapter 28 - Part 1: Tea and Brawls

The Duke of Wyvernstone ascended the marble staircase of the Bexley townhouse and was reminded of the impressive entrance of his own ancestral home. Where white stone gleamed in the sunbeams here, his own Hall shone from polished onyx but wrapped the bannisters in much the same opulent way. He loved the quiet appeal of the country in which Wyvernstone Hall was situated but was equally as enraptured to be as far from his stepmother as humanly possible. She had decided on eschewing the start of the London season to begin plans for their Annual Summer Ball the following week, and her lapse offered him a brief respite from her constant badgering. Although his brotherly love for Cain was unparalleled, ever since the duke's farce of an engagement was announced it had prompted every other mother in the borough to foist marriage onto their own sons. As if Jay needed another reason to despise his stepmother.

He much preferred thinking of the Dowager Duchess of Bexley as his mother since his own true flesh had long since passed. It offered him some small comfort to know that the two women were at one time fast friends. So, it was with haste that he answered her mysterious summons and leaped the stairs two at a time. On arrival at the Bexley Manor he had been expecting to be seated as usual in the comfortable sitting room or the spacious parlour that overlooked the ton parading on the wealthy streets. Instead, he was quietly informed by the Duchess's personal chamber maid that her mistress awaited him in her private lounge upstairs.

For a dire moment in time he felt his chest clench with stale air and he feared that she was truly ill, but the serene countenance of the chamber maid indicated that the lady in question was well. Jay reached the beautifully gilded white door panels and resolved that nothing short of a natural disaster would claim a woman as formidable as the one that waited for him beyond the walls. A small cheeky smile crept to his lips and he managed to tug half of it back into cool nonchalance before the door swung open and he stepped within.

"You're late." The Duchess looked up over the golden rim of her teacup and beamed at him welcomingly.

"Ah, but what pray tell am I late for Madam?" Jay knelt before her kissing the tips of her fingers briefly.

"Would you care for some tea, Jay? Or perhaps something stronger?" The Duchess gazed at the early morning passage of the sun to determine the propriety of pouring brandy before noon.

The young duke flicked back his coat tails and eased into the soft feminine upholstery with a quiet confidence. The Dowager Duchess was stalling, and she never stalled unless she was not in a position of power. The situation was so infrequent an occurrence that it took him a moment to recognise it.

"Oh, I think tea should be just fine, Catherine." He interlaced his fingers and clasped his hands loosely in his lap as he waited for her to pour.

An eyebrow arched upwards on her still-beautiful face and she continued pouring. "Catherine, your Grace?" She asked handing him his steaming cup.

Jay's eyes twinkled but his lips did not give away the game so early. "Well, I assume you wanted to talk to me about something personal since you have asked every single one of your maids to vacate this lovely room." He gazed slowly around their silent surroundings.

The Duchess rolled her eyes and regained her seat. "Honestly Jay, sometimes I think my son has been a bad influence on you."

Jay smiled finally, "Yes, I would have to agree my lovely Lady."

Her demeanour softened and she took a deep breath as she slid a locket on her necklace between her fingers over and over. She rubbed the smooth finished surface as if it was Aladdin's lamp, hoping for a genie's answered wish to her resolve her unspoken thoughts.