Chapter 45: Part 1- The Turning of the Key

Verushka stepped from the carriage brushing the embroidered surface of her ivory gown with care. She leaned forward to inspect her nails and a golden tendril of hair fell across her shoulder. There were no lingering remnants of dirt but somehow she still felt tainted. Oxford has got under her skin and 'assassin' was a difficult type of filth to clean.

She tried to push their discussion from her mind with another swift stoke of her dress. Jay stood at her elbow and she took his offered arm with a sewn on smile and crossed the threshold of the Bexley House.

"Are you okay little sis?" He gave her a wry grin.

Verushka stifled a giggle. He had no idea how accurate his joke was but it still lifted her spirits.

The house was adorned as never before. Candelabras threw their brilliant light against the walls, chandeliers hung from high ornate ceilings and flowers entwined the bannisters of the grand staircase with illustrious care. It was the height of the season and Verushka should have pre-empted that the Duchess of Bexley would spare no expense on her son's supposed engagement party. Jay cleared his throat and she moved forward instead of lingering near the doorway like a street urchin begging for alms.

The party had already been well on its way and both host and hostess no longer manned the front door to greet their guests, and yet the moment Verushka was within her old home, the Duchess of Bexley emerged.

"Miss Wyversnstone, my darling girl. I was beginning to think that you would not come to your own engagement."

Verushka curtseyed politely and embraced the older woman. "I am so sorry, Your Grace. I was detained by a run in my dress. It took the seamstress a dreadfully long time to fix."

"Well, perhaps we ought to arrange a new tailor for you." The Duchess smirked.

"No need, I think she has the right of it now." Verushka smiled enigmatically.

"Excellent. I have always trusted your keen judgment."

Jay snorted under his breath. Neither woman were talking about dresses, and the double entendre seemed to delight them beyond a level he could understand.

"Something wrong with your throat, Jacob?" Catherine grinned.

"Nothing a good stiff drink won't fix, Your Grace."

"Would you like me to have one brought to the garden?" The grin of the Bexley Duchess grew wider.

"Pardon me, Your Grace?" Jay's throat clenched. Surely, this matchmaking mama wasn't suggesting he seek out her servant in the garden again.

"This garden." The Duchess indicated the decorated house with a flourish. "I thought we should have a little theme this year. I have brought all the plants in doors, and had several exotic flowers imported."

"It is, erm... very nice." Jay bowed.

"It's beautiful," Verushka beamed. "Thank you."

"Now, let us get you to your ball, young lady. There are several people who are most anxious to meet you, one more especially than the rest." The Duchess took Verushka's hand and enfolded it within her own. "My son tells me that his meetings with you have not been as warmly received as usual. But then again," the Duchess cleared her throat, "anywhere is considerably colder than the back of my pantry oven."

Verushka looked at her ex-employer startled. She wasn't sure if she was being admonished or encouraged to stage a repeat offence in the Bexley kitchen. However she wasn't given much time to linger on the veiled suggestion as they had reached the entrance of the grand ballroom and Verushka's breath left her body altogether.