Chapter 142.

After the apartment is clean to my standards, not Hardin's, I go to the store to get tampons and a few things in case Ken, Karen, and Landon come over. Hardin tried to accompany me but I knew he would be teasing me about the tampons the entire time so I made him stay home. He made sure to embarrass me up until I walked out the door.

The small grocery store down the street from our apartment, Conner's, is usually empty but today it is packed with customers. The elderly woman at the counter seems annoyed as I place my items on the belt. After she scans my things I swipe my debit card.

"This lane is cash only." She huffs.

I look up to the small sign above her head that clearly reads 'cash only'. Great.

"Do you think you could just let me pay with my card just this once?" I plea. I just stood in line for twenty minutes, I really do not want to wait in line again.

"I can't, sorry." The gray haired woman replies.

"Oh come on Gloria, it's only once." A young man with tanned skin and black hair says from the next register. He shoots her a charming smile and she sighs.

"Only this once." She gives in and I thank her before swiping my card again.

I turn to thank the raven haired boy but he isn't at his register anymore.

When I step outside the cold air hits me and I shiver. I can not wait for spring, I hope winter isn't long this year.

"She takes her job a little too serious sometimes." A voice says, I turn to find the guy from inside. His name tag says Jonah and he is now wearing a thick black jacket.

"I can tell." I laugh. "Thank you for that, I would have been in line all day."

"No problem. Glad I could help." He smiles and lifts a helmet onto his head.

"Thanks again." I tell him and watch as he climbs onto a motorcycle.

I don't know how smart it is to be riding a motorcycle in this weather but at least it is not snowing. His bike starts with a loud roar and I climb into my car.

When I return he is sitting on the couch with his work binder on his lap and a pen between his lips. I love to see him this way, something about him working is so appealing. Everything about Hardin is appealing, but this is towards the top of the list.

"Is that all  or are there more bags?" He asks, removing his binder from his lap and placing it on the side table.

"This is all of it." I walk to the kitchen to put the groceries away.

"Have you called your father yet?" I ask from the kitchen.

"No.. I was waiting for you." He says back.

He appears in the kitchen moments later and sits down at the table.

"I'll call now." He sighs.

I nod and sit across from him while he presses his phone to his ear.

"Uh..hey." Hardin says into the receiver.

He sets the phone to speaker and places it on the table between us.

"Hardin?" Ken's voice is surprised.

"Yea..uhm, look I was wondering if you wanted to come over or something."

"Come over?" Ken asks.

Hardin looks up at me and I can tell that his patience is already wearing thin. My hand moves across the table to lay on his and I nod in encouragement.