The Past

*Emma's POV *

Killian and I had been dating for almost a month now, and I'd never been this happy in my life. He walked me to class in the morning while we had coffee and we had lunch together as often as we could. I'd even told him about my past and I'd never told anyone about that.

Today we were going to study in the library and have lunch on our day off classes. I was doing my hair when there was a knock on the door and I got up to answer it, confused.

"Killian? I thought we were-" I opened the door and gasped, stepping back. "Neal. What are you doing here?"

"I came back for you," he smiled, stepping closer but I stepped back. "Emma? What's wrong? Aren't you happy to see me?"

"No," I said simply, grabbing my stuff and pushing past him. "I'm not. And I'm late, so leave me alone."

"Late for what?" He asked, following me as I walked quickly across the courtyard. "Its Saturday so I know you don't have class. And it's not like you have friends."

"I do actually," I snapped as I walked into the library. "And if you must know, I have a study date with my boyfriend."

That stopped him in his tracks but I continued to the secluded corner Killian and I usually claimed. He was already there, hiding the way his face lit up when he saw me by standing up. I let out a small sob, dropping my bag and throwing myself at him. He immediately wrapped his arms around me and pulled me against him as I started to cry.

"Shh," he whispered, kissing my head and running his fingers through my hair repeatedly to calm me. "Whatever it is, it's okay. I'm here."

"I'm sorry," I said quietly once I'd calmed down. "I didn't mean to freak out like that."

"It's okay, Swan," he gave me a small smile, pulling me into his lap as he sat back down and held me to his chest. "You've just got me worried. What's wrong?"

"I just, uhm," I swallowed hard, looking down. "You remember how I told you about Neal?"

"The guy who abused you and got you sent to jail for his crimes," he nodded, looking like the thought caused him pain. "What about that scumbag?"

"He, uhm, showed up today," I sighed, taking his hand when I felt him tense. "He was at my dorm room when I left to come meet you. I just walked past him and he followed me until I came back here, but I'm okay."

"Don't worry," He sighed, tightening his hold on me and kissing my forehead, keeping it leaned on his lips. "I won't let him near you. He'll never touch you again, I promise."

I just nodded, closing my eyes and taking comfort in his embrace. He never let me off his lap even as we studied, his arm wrapped around my stomach and his chin resting on my shoulder. After we'd eaten we sat for a while longer  and I could feel his hesitation.

"Hey," I turned to put my hand on his cheek. "If it'd make you feel better we can stay together tonight."

"Are you sure?" He asked, searching my eyes. "We've never stayed together overnight before. I don't want you to think we have to..."

"I'm sure," I gave him a small smile, kissing the corner of his lips. "Nothing has to happen unless we decide it should."

He smiled a little, pulling me down to his lips. I smiled against his lips, kissing him deeply as he held my waist and tangled his other hand in my hair. We soon got in trouble for making out in the library and finally left.

He kept his arm protectively around my waist, holding me so close his hand rested on my stomach as we walked out. I saw Neal watching us with such rage, I flinched back into Killian and he held me even tighter.

"Did you want to stay at my place then?" He asked as we walked together. "Since he doesn't know where it is. Or would you be more comfortable in your own room?"

"Your place is fine," I smiled, taking his free hand in both mine and fidgeting with his fingers. "Gives me a chance to wear more of your clothes."

"I do love seeing them on you," he smirked, kissing my hair. "Why don't I take you to dinner first? Anywhere you want."

"You know what sounds better though?" I smiled, looking up at him as he looked at me questioningly. "Take out and a movie marathon."

"That," he grinned, kissing me quickly. "You just one of the things that makes you so amazing. Let's go."

Stupid Neal... anyway, thoughts?