Sleep

*Emma's POV *

It'd been just over a month, at least I thought it had. It felt like an eternity, though, being away from my family like that. I felt like the most ridiculous woman on the planet- this wouldn't have happened if I hadn't panicked like that, if my walls hadn't come out of the woodwork that way.

I'd somehow managed to keep my baby alive in all this torture, my bump now a bit bigger. All my energy had gone into protecting her and I wasn't going to let her down, no matter what it meant for me.

Neal finally left me alone in the cabin one day, locking the door from the outside. Given that my leg was broken he probably assumed I wouldn't be able to go anywhere anyway, but he underestimated me greatly. As soon as the sound of his car faded into the distance I dragged myself to the window. I all but fell outside, biting my lip in pain but finding a sturdy enough branch to pull myself up with.

A month of beatings and barely eating had taken its toll on me but I didn't care. I needed to get to someone, anyone who could get me back to my husband and my little girl.

*Killian's POV *

"Mia, sweetie, please try to sleep," I tried yet again to reason with her. "I know you want to wait for mommy, but you're going to make yourself sick if you don't sleep a little."

"No," she insisted, having used that word more in the last month than in the entire rest of her life. "Daddy no sleep, Mia no sleep. I wait for mommy."

"It's been a month," I sighed, pulling her into my lap. "At least cuddle with daddy, okay? Just close your eyes for a bit."

"Otay," she agreed hesitantly, wrapping her arms around my waist and cuddling into my stomach. "Just for a little bit."

"If you say so," I nodded, kissing her forehead and stroking her hair gently as her eyes closed. "Daddy just needs you close."

She hummed a bit, snuggling closer as I hugged her to me. Suddenly I heard the detective's radio going crazy, saying they found something while on patrol. I looked at Liam anxiously and he gave me a look, telling me to stay with Mia while he went to find out what was going on.

A few minutes later the door smashed open and Mia startled awake as a guy brought Emma inside. I quickly gave Mia to Liam and rushed to take her, bringing her to the bed and laying her in my lap. She was unconscious, covered in bruises and caked in mud.

"Stay with Uncle Liam, princess," I told Mia when she struggled against him as he took her from the room. Once she was out of sight I looked back at Emma, brushing hair away from her face. "Emma, love, wake up. Come on, Swan, just open your eyes."

"Killian," she mumbled, her eyes barely opening but then going wide. She gasped and grabbed my collar, trying to sit up. "Mia! Where is she? I have to find her! I have to keep her safe!"

"Shh, love, calm down," I smiled a little and put my hand on her cheek, tears slipping down my face onto my shirt. "She's in the other room with Liam. She's safe, I promise you."

"Oh thank God," she sighed, relaxing and leaning her head on my chest. "He didn't find her."

"Of course not," I assured her just as a doctor came in. "Now let's get you and the little one looked at, alright?"

*Emma's POV *

"Alright, Mrs. Jones," the doctor said after setting my leg and putting a cast on it up to my knee. I was between Killian's legs, leaning back on his chest with both his hands holding mine. "Are you ready to check on your baby?"

"More than ready," I nodded, still breathless from pain as I moved my hand to my belly with his fingers still between mine. "I-I did my best to protect her when he beat me, but h-he was trying to kill her, I-"