Mourning

*Emma's POV *

It'd been almost a week since the day my world fell apart. I was never left completely alone, though the one person I wanted to hold me never would again. The baby didn't even dare kick at this point. I mostly just stared into space, my brain unable to cope with the loss. I couldn't even seem to make myself eat, I didn't know if I was hungry given that I felt empty all the time.

There was going to be a memorial service for the men who'd been aboard at the military base today, so I got myself up while Ruby was still asleep. I got ready on autopilot, not even thinking about it until I was done and looked down at my wedding ring.

My hand was resting on top of my belly, the ring almost mocking me with everything we should have had but never did

My hand was resting on top of my belly, the ring almost mocking me with everything we should have had but never did. It made me literally gag with longing, but there was nothing to throw up. I put on my sunglasses to hide the tears and blank look of pain in my eyes, leaving before anyone else even woke.

I drove his truck, the fact that it still smelled so much like him making me cry again. I didn't know how I was able to cry anymore, thinking I had to run out of tears eventually. Every flag in the state was flying at half mast in recognition but everything else was so normal it made me want to run my car off the road. And I might have if it was just me, but I wasn't going to hurt the baby girl inside of me no matter how upset I was.

I pulled up and parked, going to sit in the group of other loved ones left behind. We were all silent for now but each of us would have a chance to say something in honor of the one we lost. As things got started my stomach twisted, making me wish once again that there was anything to throw up when they called my name.

"My name is Emma Jones," I said as I got up there, clearing my throat since all I'd done is sob for a week. "Like many of you I lost someone I loved on that ship, my husband. Killian Jones made my world go round, he made my life a life since the moment we met. I can honestly say that I have no idea how to function without him, having spent my entire adult life in love with him. I just hope that when our daughter is born I'll be able to do him justice when I tell her about him, and be everything she needs. Killian, like all of your loved ones, died a hero and no one will ever take that from him."

After it was over Liam found me, taking me to the truck. There was a commotion and he talked to someone but I wasn't listening, watching the windshield as it began to snow and clutching the folded up flag they'd given me. He didn't drive us home, however, pulling up in front of a hospital.

*Killian's POV *

"Emma!" I screamed as I woke up, sitting up and looking around to find myself in a raft with two other guys who were now staring at me. "What happened? Where are we?"

"The ship exploded," one of them said quietly. "You've been unconscious for almost a week but we're almost to a shore. No clue where we are, but there's land."

"Your room was by the door," the other added. "Plus you said you had a baby on the way, so we grabbed you."

I nodded, looking over and losing consciousness almost instantly when I saw land.