THIRTY-SIX: POWER TRIP

"Well this has gotta be the longest crush ever, if I ever get to fuck it'd be the longest bust ever. Love is a drug, like the strongest stuff ever and fuck it, I'm on one, you feel me?"

SONG: POWER TRIP FT. MIGUEL

ARTIST: J. COLE (aka one of my future baby daddies)

Brianna

"You haven't even met the dog and you're already being mean," I told Luke as he drove, an annoyed look on his face while he continued to mumble about how the dog better not fucking get his fur everywhere. "It's cute."

"It," Luke huffed and reached for my thigh, slotting his hand between it. "The only reason I'm not against the idea is because I'm a fucking sucker for your smile."

I blushed and bit down on my lip. "He's a puppy. We have plenty of time to train him."

Luke grumbled, pulling to a stop as soon as siri said, "Your destination is on your left."

I took off my seatbelt and leaned over the console to kiss his cheek. Luke smiled despite his animosity toward the idea of getting a dog. He pushed out of the car and waited for me, reaching for my hand and intertwining our fingers.

A woman—presumably Norah, the one I had talked to on the phone—came out of the house with a vibrant smile on her face. Luke walked without saying anything and just made sure I was walking close to him, even though he was already holding my hand.

"Mrs. Hemmings," She greeted and Luke lifted his head, casting his gaze down toward me. I blushed again and bit down on my lip. "I was beginning to think you weren't going to make it."

"Uh, yeah, traffic," I managed, clearing my throat. Luke was smirking now. "I'm sorry we're late. This is—"

"Luke, her husband," He introduced, pulling his hand from mine and held it out in front of him. "I'm the one who doesn't want the dog, but I mean, I'd get anything to make her happy."

Norah grinned and shook Luke's hand quickly. "The puppies are in the backyard with the kids. I got your payment on the twenty-third."

I paled.

"Wait, the twenty-third?" Luke asked, following Norah into the house. "I didn't even know—"

I nudged him and then pointed to the window. "Look, babe."

A herd of Maltese puppies chased around two kids, screaming and tiny barks providing noise for the interior as well. Luke bit down on his lip, holding his tongue about what he was going to say next, but I kind of already knew what he was going to say.

"They're going to shed a lot," He whined softly, crossing his arms over his chest. "We're gonna have to buy a crap load of lint rollers."

I smiled softly and leaned my head against his arm, wrapping my arms around his waist. He uncrossed his arms and wrapped them around my shoulders, kissing the top of my head.

"The one you chose already has his collar on," Norah explained and pulled back the glass, sliding door. "He's already fed and he's been drinking water all day. His mother didn't care much for him, honestly. She didn't really make sure if he was fed or not like the rest of her kids."

I frowned and stepped through, eyeing the only one with the black collar around his neck. They all stopped at the sight of Luke and I. My boyfriend came over to me and placed his hand on my shoulder.

"He's cute," Luke commented and walked closer, reaching for the puppy and lifting it. "And he's so small."

"You like him," I told Luke and watched him roll his eyes. "Come on, Luke, just admit it. You actually like the idea of owning a dog."