FORTY-FIVE: LOOKING LIKE YOU JUST WOKE UP

"I'm playing dead. I faked my death and I'll keep pretending if nothing else for the sake of the tradition and I am confident. Even if it makes no sense. I will say I love you back to the love that I am given..."

SONG: LOOKING LIKE YOU JUST WOKE UP

ARTIST: THE FRONT BOTTOMS

"No," I said flatly, staring at Brianna as she held up Bean and made a pouty face. Bean licked his nose. "Babe, seriously, no."

"Come on, Bean is lonely," Brianna told me and then deposited the mutt onto my lap. I frowned at the mutt and then lifted my head to look at my fiancee. "Babe, please."

I sighed and crossed my arms over my chest. "Brianna, we're not getting another dog."

"Luke, please," Brianna got down on her knees and gave me a pleading look. I rolled my eyes and shook my head at her. "We can get a dog like Molly."

I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair. "Why do you want another dog? The mutt shits everywhere and cries all the time."

Brianna smacked my arm. "Stop calling Bean a mutt," She grumbled and pushed herself up to sit beside me. "You love him."

I snorted. "Sure."

"Then let's get a dog that you like," She told me and reached for my hand, intertwining our fingers. "Babe. Please."

"Why do you want another dog?"

"Because I love dogs?" She asked, raising an eyebrow. "Why don't you want another dog?"

"Because I didn't even fucking want the mutt in the first place. The only reason I agreed to the dog is because you are clearly happy with it," I grumbled and then looked down at Bean who had been licking my arm for the past five minutes.

Brianna sighed and stood, taking Bean and then walking toward the room. She slammed the door behind her and I frowned before swallowing my fucking pride. I stood and walked into the bedroom. Bean was chewing up one of my shoes and I fought the urge to kick the dog out before sitting down on the bed with Brianna.

"I was being a dick," I told her and crossed my arms over my chest. "I'm sorry."

Brianna shrugged and lifted her legs, pressing them against her chest. She was fucking ignoring me. I knew I should have been nicer to her. She just wanted another dog and I was being a fucking dick.

"Baby, please," I muttered and took her hand, bringing it against my mouth. She sighed and then crawled into my lap. I kissed the side of her head and then exhaled. "I'm just--I'm not good at taking care of things."

Brianna lifted her head and frowned. "You're good at taking care of Bean."

"Please, the mutt basically took care of himself," I muttered and then sighed softly. "I don't think I'd be a good dad either. I've always wanted kids, but I've always been terrified of becoming the kind of dad that can't fall in love with his own kid."

Brianna frowned. "Don't say that. You'll be the greatest dad ever."

I sighed and pressed my nose against her hair, inhaling her scent. Maybe I was going to be a good dad. There could be another chance that I was being selfish and didn't want to share Brianna with anyone else--not yet at least.

"We can get the dog, Brianna,"

_______________________

Brianna Burns

We were staring at the dogs for the past hour, trying to decided on one we both liked. One thing we did know, is that we wanted a dog much bigger than Bean. I smiled softly at the memory of our first dog and then reached for Luke's hand. He broke from his trance and gave me a soft smile.