Chapter 37 (Finale)

It was unusual waking up and knowing that we would be finding walkers and cornering them off

You see, it had been a couple of days since the drama happened. During that time Rick had found an area blocked by a truck to stop walkers from getting closer to Alexandria, Rick had come up a plan with Denna to draw away the walkers. 

But of course, I wasn't allowed to go, so I was told to stay with Maggie and keep her safe -Glenn's orders. 

Daryl came up to me and I looked up, seeing him sigh. "I'll be back." He says and immediately a bad feeling comes over me, I shake my head. 

"Don't go, just this once. I have a bad feeling that you're going to be hurt.." I mumbled worriedly, he sighs and kneels down, stroking my cheek. His eyes were glazed over and his breath was heavy, I could tell he was worried about this one. That it wasn't going to go well...

"I've got to Sky.. You going to be a good girl and stay with Maggie?" He asks and I slowly nod while looking down, he lifts my chin to make me look at him.

"I love you Sky, Merle loves you too..." Daryl says and my eyes glaze over as well as Daryl's, I fling my arms around him and cuddle him close. 

"I love you Daryl... I'm just scared." I say with tears running down my cheeks, Daryl pulls me in close. 

"I don't want to jinx it but I have a bad feeling too." Daryl mumbles and only more tears roll down my cheeks in sadness, my body shakes and weakens, Daryl stands up picking me up with him. "But, no matter what I'll get back. I'll be with you.." Daryl kisses my forehead, I cuddle into him. 

He puts me down as they all head off out into the open, shutting the gates soon after. I sat below the watch tower, carving writings and symbols into the wall, something overpowering came over me. I felt a sense of coldness, a sense of mobility.

Like I wouldn't be afraid to kill someone. 

I must of dozed up because by the time I woke once more I heard screaming and shouting, I immediately got up and hid behind the supports. Raiders were running throughout the camp, sliding out my knife and held it to my side. 

I spot a man wandering towards a resident of Alexandria, I slowly crouched and hid behind the foliage, sneaking closer to him. Just as the man was about to attack I jumped him.

I jumped on his back making him groan and trying to spin me off, instead I gripped my cold knife and stabbed him through the crown of his head. I felt his body crumble beneath me, I was able to land with my feet on the ground. 

Blood poured out of the dirty body as I ripped the knife out, I looked to the young woman but saw the knife wound through the upper chest. Without a second, I stabbed her head and putting her out of her misery. 

I stood up straight, staring around at Alexandria. The sense of hopeless came upon me, we weren't going to find a home to keep us safe. We would always get things stopping us from having a stable life. 

I hear more people scream loudly, I run towards the screams for help only to immediately stop and see the dead bodies and the raiders that stare at me, preparing to kill me.

They charge towards me, only to groan and pull out my gun out towards them. 

Aiming for the head, pulling the trigger at each of them. 

Falling bodies, blood and groans of their last breath...

They were dead, and I am stronger.

No one takes my home away from me...

I'm going to see you again Daryl, you're not leaving me...

And I'm not leaving you.

So readers, are you satisfied? You have seen me start weak and grew strong. 

Daryl has been on the journey too, he was once isolated and trusted no one, but now is a leader and a survivor.

People change when a situation comes towards them, people change because they don't want to be afraid. Fortunately for me I was young at the start, I never had to fear about my children nor about what life should be; because I learned the ways that this new life has given me. 

Maybe it was God trying to change the ways of life and wanted to start over?

Maybe it was just a disease that got out?

I find that the second one is very close...

God created the world and people within it, yes he built evil in the world too- but who's to say that we haven't seen it from a different perspective. 

Perspective...

That has too changed for me.

I no longer see the walkers as the major threat, see- the walkers are slow, weak... Dumb.

They don't understand different attacks? Only hear, smell and eat... 

No.

It's the humans now, humans are cynical. 

They are smart, overtime they learn new ways to threaten life. 

Just like before, you see- before you get murders and thieves, bank robbers and hackers. 

Now raiders and people looking to kill. 

Humans have the capability to learn how to always be the criminal..

But there will always be the good guys, yes we have killed. 

But we know what should be done...

We are...

The Walking Dead.