Chapter One

This book is something I wrote when I was very young and now I've outgrown this account

This book is something I wrote when I was very young and now I've outgrown this account. This book is filled with cringe but enjoy at your own risk. Thank you for the memories.

Streets were serene with thoughtless people bustling, rushing around making sure to get to their confined homes on time or to pick up their children, people mumbling into phones or babbling to their friends/family, the sounds of tires burning friction onto the rubble of the road was loud against my ears. Currently, I was holding my Teddy loosely in my arms, I smile as I smelt the smell from my clothes of sweet strawberries from when my brothers and I went strawberry picking...

Slowly, I was strolling down the streets, I previously took a trip to the park while my brothers were working on their grubby cars. As I made one last kick at the stationary rock I spotted the corner shop, rumours had been heard that they were selling new candies that were meant to make your body tingle, without hesitation I stride into the shop but was stumped to find that it was locked.

Stumbling backwards, I quickly regain my balance and gazed around to see more cars weave through the now-crowded streets. Panicked looks swarmed on citizens faces, suddenly screams would take over the sounds of the tries, and it was certainly louder than my thoughts.

Abruptly, I was lying the cold hard ground and my breath became rapid, "Sorry about that little girl!" a gruff voice says with a frightened tone. The strange man had a dark beard and dark hair on his head, his nose crooked and his eyes big (maybe because of the way he was frightened at something). Cautiously, I got up and stepped away from the stranger, I tucked my hair behind my ear and swallowed hard, clutching my teddy tightly in my arms. 

"It's okay, I've got to go now." I hastily said before running off, wanting to get away from the strange man. Before I could run home, a group of ill-looking people stumbled around the corner and suddenly I was picked up. I kicked and squirmed away from whoever picked me up and I was shoved in the car, the group of ill-looking people smacked themselves against the car and blood smudged against the window.

I screamed as the people smacked their heads on the window, the car drove off swiftly.Turning, I looked at the man who took me, I screamed against and tears streamed down. "Calm down!" He shouts, drowning out my screaming.

"I'm here to help, I'm not sugarcoating anything so I'm going to say this." he pauses and then he slightly turns to me "There is some sort of disease that's spreading, you're lucky I picked you up.", this man was different from the man I stumbled into earlier, he had kinder eyes and his hair spiked up. His eyes widen as he slowly pulls to a stop, "You stay here and don't say a word." he states and I obey him as I clutch the Teddy tightly to me.

He spends thirty minutes outside and when he gets back he settles in the car covered in blood and fear-stricken, he hands me a bag and sticks his in the back.  I rummage through the bag finding clothes and a few granola bars, I look over at him and he stares at me. "You better get changed, you're vulnerable in what you're wearing".

I climb in the back to get changed into jeans and a plain white top, the jeans were a little baggy on me but lucky for me the man had a belt that I can tie around me. The top was ripped slightly but it was better than the dress, I climbed back in the front and stared at the man. "What's your name?" I ask him, curiously.

"Don't ask questions." his voice low and gruff, he looks in the rear view mirror and his face grows worried and uncertain, "Get out." He says with a stern voice and his scrunched up, I try to speak but I was too scared.

"Now!" He shouts and his grip on the steering wheel tightened, I quickly grabbed a bag that the man handed to me. I stumbled out the car, falling on my bum; the men throws Teddy at me and slams the door shut. The car speeds off and turns around back into town, I get up and look around, seeing a deserted highway. I pick teddy up, my heart starts to pound as I look up at the red sky and the settling sun.

I hear groans and moans, I look ahead of me and see crowds of people emerging then my heart picks up and then I grab the bag tightly and look around with panic, I see the forest. I run inside with the bag being dragged behind me, my heart thumping in my ears.

As I dragged my bag leaves rustle and my panting is only thing I can hear amongst the moans of the monsters,  the moans ran and echoed throughout my head, haunting me, taunting me. I panicked and looked around, finding a place to climb and hide. I spot a tree and climb up a tree quickly, leaving the bag on the floor and teddy under one arm.

I cling onto the tree and stare down at the ground as monsters roam past the tree and stumble around, I cover my mouth to stop my breaths being heard. My eyes fixate on the monsters that smack their jaws and dirty eyes that roam around looking for flesh,  clothes that were dirty from staggering into any potential dirty places.

An hour passes (but felt like 3 hours), I climb down the tree and pick up my trampled bag. A rumbling sounds echos throughout the woods emitting from my stomach, I hold my hand close to my stomach and I start to notice a choking feeling around my throat making me cough. As I cough I feel the same stuffiness as you do when getting a cold or a fever, Daryl would always know how to make me smile when I was sick, but he's not here.

I continue to trudge through the forest and look out for any monsters, the cool air hit the back of my neck as darkness descends. I stumble out into an opening when a view formed of a small farm, untouched by the madness that had laid upon the world hours ago. I stare back into the dark forest then look back at the farm, alit from the inside occupied by- maybe- a farmer and his loving family.

I slowly walk towards the farm, each step made my heart a little more level as I walk away from the dangers of the woods, I start to think about what to say- which stops me. They don't want someone who is sick? They don't want me.

I look around the farm and see a barn, I tread quietly towards it and climbed up the ladder and laid myself down by the front. I stare up at the night sky with Teddy by my side and hum the lullaby that Daryl would sing (well, hum to).

The night sky would be blanket for that night...