Chapter 23

"Alright, I'll go in, you stay and watch for walkers" Rick says, "No you stay and I'll go" Carl says, "You know what, you don't you both go in, and I'll watch for walkers" I say putting a hand on my hip

"Alright, I'll go in, you stay and watch for walkers" Rick says, "No you stay and I'll go" Carl says, "You know what, you don't you both go in, and I'll watch for walkers" I say putting a hand on my hip. Both of them don't say anything but they burst in, I turn around and hold my crossbow up looking out for walkers. 

They were gone for a couple of minutes so I walked in and saw a pile of furniture stacked up with food on the other side, "So I'm guessing we have food?" I say and the boys pack the food away, "Walker" I say as I saw three walkers heading our way, I shot two walkers and knifed the last. I picked up my arrows and we all rushed out and headed to our left, "who do you think made it out?" I ask Rick with a sad expression.

"I don't know, I didn't see anyone leave" Rick says and I nod, I lower my head and look down at my pendant. "Daryl's going to be fine." Rick says bringing my attention to him, "I hope so." I say lifting my crossbow higher up to my shoulder. "Let's stay here" Rick says pointing to a house. I get my crossbow and we slowly walk into the house, and I stay outside for a bit, "HEY ASSHOLE, HEY ASSHOLE! ANYONE HERE!" I hear Carl shout, I run in and see Rick and Carl looking angry at each other.

"Alright, that's it. You two need to stop! This is no way to deal with the situation! Let's just make sure this place is clear then settle down." I say, will they stop arguing? I walked into the living room and saw nothing, I walked upstairs and saw Carl sitting down reading but I saw the TV and Xbox lying on the floor. I walked into every room and saw that it was empty, I walked back downstairs and helped Rick put the furniture near the door. I sat down on the single couch and sighed placing my crossbow on the floor, I leaned forward and rub my eyes while sighing. 

All I can hear is Rick's struggled breaths and noises from the wilderness, I look up at Rick and see his poor beaten face. I grab my handkerchief and knelled in front of Rick who was sitting on the couch, "May I?" I ask and Rick looks up then after a few minutes he nods, I wipe the blood off revealing scars and open wounds. "Got any water?" I ask Rick and he nods passes me the water and I put a little on the cloth. I slowly hand it back and wipe his wounds. 

"There" I say moving Rick's head to check where I missed, "Thanks Skylar" I sit back on the individual sofa and I lean back, "Get some sleep Rick, Carl and I will be fine." I say and Rick hesitantly nods. Once Rick lays back he is immediately in a sleep, I hear footsteps walk in and I turn my head to see Carl. "I'm going out to get some supplies from other houses." Carl says and I nod, "Be careful" I say and Carl walks out. 

"Might as well go hunting." I say, I grab my knife and carve into the wall saying 'gone hunting I'll be back before dark', I grab my crossbow and walk out the house, I shut the door quietly and walk down the porch steps and out into the woods. I entered and it was eerie silence, I looked up at a tree and saw a squirrel. I aim and fire, the squirrel falls to the floor, I walk up to the squirrel, pick it up then I tied it to my belt.

3 squirrels, not enough but it'll have to do. I looked up at the sky to see a red and yellow sky, better head back. I follow my footsteps up back to the house and I hear shouting, but only from one voice? I run up into the house and burst through the door to see Carl crying and Rick lying on the floor, I shut the door behind me and run up to Carl. I put my crossbow down and look at Carl, "Are you okay Carl, what happened?" I say and Carl ignores me.

I take a look at Rick and saw that he was lying on the floor and his voice was very croaky and shallow, Carl must've thought he was a walker. I looked back at Carl and saw his gun to the side of him, "He isn't dead Carl." I say trying to make him look at me. "I know." He says after wiping his nose. "Help me sit Rick up" I say and Carl helps me lift his Dad up on the couch.

He grunts and sighs, I turn to Carl who looks sad and depressed. "Carl, I'm not exactly going to ask you what's wrong because I know you're upset. But will you tell me what it's about? With you shouting at Rick and in a mood with him?" I say sitting next to him on the floor. "Judith is dead. We lost our home and we're split up." Carl says in a an angry tone. "First of all, how do you know Judith is dead. 2nd, we may of lost our home but we have each other, and lastly, we will all be back together again. I know it." I say with a confident tone.

"We won't, everyone is dead." Carl says while staring at the floorboards, I get up and he looks up at me. "I don't know why I bother Carl, you don't have hope! My brother is out there probably terrified of where I am, everyone is." I say with tears in my eyes, "Everyone is gone Skylar, don't you get it. One step out into this world without anything to help...and you going to get it." Carl says.

"You may think that, but I still have hope. An-And I don't want to think that my brother may be out there as a Walker! Or dead! I'm just trying to help you and you just throw it back." I say before aggressively sighing. "I'm going to get some rest" I say walking up the stairs and climbing onto the roof, I lay my crossbow down and lay back onto the roof.

Please don't be dead Daryl...