Chapter Four

Mumbles could be heard, the smell of food clinging to my nose making stomach clench in hunger

Mumbles could be heard, the smell of food clinging to my nose making stomach clench in hunger. My throat was dry and my body was slightly cold, I felt the need to open my eyes.

I slowly open my heavy eyelids and stare out around me, I saw Daryl lying there asleep and Maggie was sitting on the other side looking at the floor and mumbling. Coughing a little, Maggie's attention snapped to me and she sighs in relief.

"Thank god.." She says in relief and she kisses my hand, I cough and then look over at Daryl then back at Maggie. "He's been here for a while..." she says and nodding sadly, I look down and see Teddy at the end of the bed.

As if she read my mind Maggie picks up the Teddy and places it by my arm, smiling as she kisses my forehead. "Sis?" I hear Daryl voice from beside me, I turn my head to him and smile up at him. Daryl comes close to me and kisses my forehead, "You frightened me to death.." Daryl adds and I nod in reply.

"I'm sorry.." I say and his eyes soften, he holds my cheek. "You're never leaving my side..."

"Where's Merle, Daryl?" I question and Daryl tenses. "He got handcuffed to the roof and... I shouldn't be the one saying this to you. I'll be right back." Daryl immediately got up and left. Later Rick and him come back and Rick sits beside me and sighs. "You want to know about Merle?" Rick says, I nod and Rick looks at Daryl, Daryl nods.

"He went crazy, firing shots about. He beat up one of our men and so I handcuffed him to the roof, found some dr-..", Daryl stopped him and whispered in his ear and Rick nods. "We were going to let him free after we found a way out, but one of the men dropped the key down the drain by mistake and we left him there. After Daryl found out we went back for him, when we got there he was gone, only left a hand behind. We don't know where he is, I'm sorry...", Rick says.

"You said you found something?" I say looking at Daryl and Rick. "W-Was it drugs?" I say getting teary-eyed, "Sis, he did it so he can relax a bit more... You know he does.". I started to cry, "He swore down on my life that he would stop." I sobbed into my worn out Teddy.

"Wait, he did what!?" Daryl shouts, making me flinch. "He swore on my life that he wouldn't do it..." I mumbled into Teddy, Rick got up and left- leaving me and Daryl. Daryl came up to me and sat beside me with his hand in mine. "Let's forget that okay..?", I nod.

"Want me to introduce everyone to you Sky?" Maggie asks and I look at Daryl, he nods. "I've got to find someone anyway, you be good Sky... Stay with Maggie." Daryl says then kisses my cheek before taking off.

Maggie picks me up, then carries me outside where I see an old looking RV and plenty of tents and a couple of cars. People stop and stare at Maggie and I, the uncomfortable feeling of curious stares burn against my skin, my cheeks blushing and my gaze going down to Teddy.

"Who's this?" I hear a clear, slightly deep voice. Looking up I saw an asian boy with a baseball cap, smiling at me, I smile back in response.

"This is Skylar, Daryl's little sister. Skylar, this is Glenn" Maggie introduces, Glenn wore a soft smile but the grime on his clothes suggests that he had been through a lot to get here.

"Whoa, Daryl's sister!" Glenn gasps, he asks me some questions before I got introduced with other people, all saying the same thing "You're so sweet!"- well, except Shane who grunted.

The sun was out and beating down one everyone, Carol was cleaning the camp's clothes and Maggie was sitting in front of me making a card for Carl. Patiently, I was drawing Carl and his hate with a thumbs up to signal that he was okay. Maggie smiles down as I stick my tongue out to draw and colour, before long, I was done and Maggie was taking me to Carl.

Carl was lying there, breathing and well again. I placed the paper card on the desk beside him and he turns slowly to me. "Thank you..." he mumbles and I offer him a small smile.

I see Hershel sitting there reading, Maggie puts me down and I walk up to Hershal. "Hello Hershel" I say loudly, he smiles and puts a chair out for me.

"Hey Skylar, You feeling okay?" he replies, I nod in response. "I do, thank you! What are you reading there?" I giggle and kneel on the chair, looking at the book. "Bib-lee"I attempt to say, giggling. "It's a silly name" I say, then Hershel smiles.

"It's the Bible... Not Bib-lee", he says whilst smiling. "What's it about?" I question, "It's about a man called Jesus, it's about his life. Life to Death", He said.

"But if it was his story how did he write it down?" I ask, confusing written all on my face. "Someone else did", Hershel says. "Did he have a person around to write it out then?" Hershel seemed unsure but he nodded. "Yeah, he did." he replied, I nod.

"Okay, I'll let you read!", I grab Teddy and walked out of the house.