Nobody Likes Me

I felt my heart ripping in two, I was always nice to Reggie. Even when he would push me down on the playground in elementary, or knock down my books in the hallway in junior high and high school, or do any of the countless other things he did to torture me through the years. I was always nice to him. Never said a mean word about him, even when that's all he said about me.

I sniffled and forced myself from the floor. I went to my bedroom and picked up my phone, wiping tears from my cheeks in the process. No missed calls, no unopened text messages, nothing. I dropped it back onto my bed and trudged to the kitchen for some breakfast. Chris would eat with the rest of the pack when they got back from their run, but I was still hungry. I pulled out a small frying pan and started to make myself an omelette. I turned on some music, trying to hide my pain. I danced around the kitchen, cooking, and laughing at the radio. Pretending that I lived a normal life. I finished cooking and placed the pan in the sink before turning down the music and sitting down at the table. I enjoyed the flavors of the omelette until there was a knock at the door. I set my fork down slowly, glancing at the clock. 8:45, Chris wouldn't be back for at least another hour or two. I got up and snuck toward the door. I pushed myself up onto the tips of my toes to look through the peep hole. When I saw who was waiting calmly on the other side, I opened the door smoothly.

"Hello Nova." Alpha Don greeted me cheerily as I held the door open for him to come inside.

"Hello Alpha Don." I smiled at him. Alpha Don was about 45 years old with greying black hair and steel gray eyes. He stood roughly five feet eleven inches tall and screamed of Alpha male. He was dressed in casual jeans and a graphic t-shirt with 'Bazinga!' written across the front. I had given it to him as a Christmas present last year, and he loved it. When he wasn't wearing his signature polo, he was wearing that shirt. "I see you're not running with the pack this morning." He said taking a seat at the table where my dishes were still sitting. I closed the door quietly and joined him at the table.

I shrugged, "I didn't really feel like it I guess." I lied, hoping that he wouldn't notice.

"Nova, Chris told me what happened." He said in a fatherly tone. I looked up at him and shrugged again. I blinked a few times, trying to force away the tears that were gathering.

"Does it really matter? Reggie is right. Nobody likes me." I whispered, choking back tears as they threatened to return. The harsh reality of saying such a thing out loud cut into me like a knife. Whoever said 'words will never hurt me' was obviously a compulsive liar. Words are powerful and can hurt anyone more than physical harm. Alpha Don didn't say anything in reply. We sat there in silence while Taylor Swift sang quietly in the background on the radio. I recognized the tune but was too overwhelmed to remember the lyrics.

"I know things haven't been easy for you Nova. Especially since Leah and Brad died." He said softly, referring to my parents. My heart twisted painfully at the memory. It was almost two years now since they've been gone.

My parents had died in a fight protecting the pack from rouges. It was hard for all of us, even Alpha Don. My dad had been his Beta. They grew up together, so when he was gone, Alpha Don came over a lot more to make sure Chris and I had everything we needed. He stepped into Dad's shoes when he wasn't there. Chelsea, Don's wife, made meals for us and made sure we had clean clothes on our backs. She wasn't Mom. That was obvious. Chelsea didn't cook as much as Mom had. So it was hard for Chris and me to adjust to her meals from a box. We teased her about it, but she always smiled and laughed. She hadn't been over to visit since graduation, so I didn't know what she was up to lately.

I looked up at Alpha Don, he was looking at me sadly. I shrugged and didn't say anything. "Well, I probably should be going. Chelsea will want help making breakfast. I just wanted to stop by and check on you." He said, rising from his chair. I knew he wasn't going to invite me to join, so I mumbled something about a book I wanted to start reading. A typical excuse from me. He nodded, walking over and giving me a tight hug. Alpha Don tried so hard to be a father figure for me since my parents died, but it didn't always work. I knew how Reggie treated me, especially when Alpha Don wasn't around. It bothered me to wonder how such a great leader could have a son who was so harsh. Alpha Don showed himself out and I cleared away my dishes before loading them into the dishwasher.

I moved to the front door and locked it silently. I wasn't going to take this anymore, I took the stairs two at a time as I rushed into my bedroom, grabbing my backpack out of the closet and throwing it onto my bed. "They don't want me here anyway." I mumbled to myself, shoving whatever I could grab into a bag. I moved as fast and as efficiently as I could, grabbing clothes and putting them into the bag wherever they would fit. I squeezed it shut and zipped it with a little bit of a struggle. I went to the empty drawers and closed them all for show after grabbing my wallet from one of them. I scanned my room, only thinking of what I could carry on my back. I reached for my purse, which in all reality was just another bag, and slung it over my shoulder. I dropped an envelope on the bed, I had written my goodbye long ago, explaining to my brother how alone I felt and how much better off he without me. The thought of running away had been there long before today. Today was just the catalyst. I told him not to look for me, and not to worry, that I'll contact him when I'm ready. The letter had been hard for me to write, but I knew that it was all true. I was only holding him back. 

I turned around to the bedroom where I had grown up. The place where my dad had read bedtime stories when I was little. The sanctuary that I would escape to after school, delving deep into my books. The room where I had learned magic alongside Harry Potter. The room where dragons became real, where good triumphed over evil. The only place where I really felt safe and wanted. I turned back, making my way silently to the front door, firmly believing I was making the right decision. I wiped a stray tear from my eyes. I would no longer live in misery. That was guaranteed.

I looked into the home that held so many memories for me as I held onto the handle of the front door. I choked back the tears that threatened to destroy my courage to leave and slipped out, locking the door behind me, making my way to my car. I threw my bags into the passenger seat and slid into the drivers seat. I turned on the car and smiled, seeing that Chris had filled up my tank for me. He was always making sure that I had everything I needed. He was the best brother I could've asked for. I took one last look up at the house I had grown up in. Maybe one day I would return. I put the small tan Ford Escape into gear and started to drive away. I drove until I reached the border of the pack territory. I paused for a moment, fighting with myself to not turn around, and continued on. I drove for hours. Not caring where I went. I drove south, away from the forested areas of Minnesota. I crossed my fingers and hoped this worked.