Questions

I laid Nova down gently onto one of the beds in the hotel room. The red LED clock on the nightstand said it was just before five o'clock in the morning and I sighed. I went to Nova's purse and pulled her phone from the side pocket. My wolf growled at me. This is an invasion of her privacy, and you know that. I waved his thought away as I pressed the home button. The phone lit up, momentarily blinding me. My eyes slowly adjusted to the sudden light and I smiled. Her background was now a picture of me. I was playing football with the boys without a shirt on while my blue jeans hung lowly on my hips.

I was in the middle of a play, with the football cradled in the crook of my arm, mud was slinging up from my bare feet as I ran. I had to admit to myself, it was a great picture. We had only been playing football the other day and I didn't know she had been watching. My ego swelled at the fact that I was able to show off my athleticism. I'm not normally one to let my ego get the best of me, but this was one exception I was willing to make. I unlocked her phone and my smile broadened seeing both of our smiling faces staring back at me. I sent a quick text message to her brother Chris asking him to meet for lunch in town this afternoon. I knew that he wouldn't refuse especially because he was so worried about Nova. I hit send, locked the phone, and set it on the small table next to my laptop that I had set out.

"Did I do the right thing?" I wondered aloud to myself. I collapsed into the desk chair, my mind going a million miles an hour. I knew her brother was worried, I would be too, but was it the right decision to bring her back? I didn't really know the real reason why she had ran away in the first place. Was I bringing her back to a place of pain and abuse? I'd never forgive myself if that was the case. Had she run away because of another male? If so, I wouldn't hesitate in ripping his throat out. I looked across the room at her sleeping form, her chest rising and falling with her even breathing. I felt my heart grow with love for my mate, briefly wondering what I would do without her. A thought that had slowly been fading from my mind as we spent more time together. I dismissed the idea before it had the opportunity to make its way into my head and drive me mad with worry.

I had gotten her safely away from Mitchell, for now, but had I brought her to a new danger? The unknown reason for Nova leaving her pack still haunted me. I should just ask her, but after I asked about Wyoming I didn't want to upset her again. Nova was a smart girl, she wouldn't just leave her pack without a good reason, I just didn't know what that reason was. I rubbed my hand over the 5 o'clock shadow that had developed. I called out to Eric, trying to tell him that we were safe. I hoped he was awake, but when I didn't get a response, I knew he was asleep. I felt my mood fall. I could really use his advice right now. He originally had told me this whole thing was a bad idea, but understood my reasoning. He had begrudgingly agreed to my plan, knowing that it would be a waste of everyone's time if he tried to try talk me out of it.

I sat in the desk chair for at least an hour, trying to think of all the reasons a wolf would leave their pack without warning. Such a thing had never happened to our pack. I had written a list on the notepad provided on the desk. I had heard of female wolves running from their packs because of abuse or fear. Some left because they were neglected or beaten. It bothered me that such a thing would happen, but not all packs were as harmonious as ours. 

I shook my head, remembering seeing Nova for the first time. How could anyone be cruel to someone so pure? Her beautiful blue eyes had caught me off guard as I first felt myself get lost in them. She was so small and innocent. Her eyes were as big as saucers after she bumped into me, but there was no fear. There was no pain or suffering, only loneliness and sorrow. I had vowed right there to never let her feel sad or lonely again. I knew I had already failed her multiple times, and yet she was still here.

I glanced at her again as she mumbled quietly in her sleep. Her face twisted angrily as she tensed into a ball. I pulled my shirt up over my head before crawling into the best next to her, wrapping my arm tightly around her waist. I sunk into the mattress. It was not the most comfortable, but it would do. I put my hand on Nova's waist and pulled her toward me. I pressed my chest against her back, breathing in her soft earthy scent. I pulled her into me, needing her ever closer to me. I let my limbs relax as my weary body finally started to rest. Nova relaxed into me, nuzzling her cheek against my arm as she wiggled. Nightmare forgotten, her soft hips pressed into the mattress next to me as she snuggled in to my presence. My groin reacted independently and I pressed my hips into hers, matching the movement. I felt my pants get tight, and gritted my teeth. I tried to clean up my thoughts, but everything about her was assaulted my self control. I struggled to keep my wolf down, my hand still firmly placed on her hip. I wrestled with my thoughts. I knew that nothing was going to happen, but my instinct was more than ready to claim my mate.

I groaned, pushing myself onto my back. I stared up at the ceiling. I reminded myself that she will come to me when she is ready. It will happen, but let it happen on her terms. She needs to be able to exert control on her life. I adjusted myself through my basketball shorts. It had already been an exhausting day, I needed to sleep.

I rolled back over. I kissed her head lightly as I moved her hair away from my face. This is how I want to sleep every night for the rest of my life, entwined with the woman I love. I whispered my love to her, as I did every night. I knew she was sound asleep, but I still felt compelled to say it. I will say it again tomorrow night, and the night after that, and every night for as long as I live.