Nightmares to Dreams

I screamed at the top of my lungs, my eyes flying open. My body was drenched in a cold sweat, and my hands were shaking beyond control. I clutched the soft comforter tightly in my small hands, looking around at my surroundings. The fear I had inside slowly leaving as my heart rate returned to normal. I sat up slowly, cool air hitting my bare skin. I pulled the comforter closer to my body, realizing I was completely naked underneath. Where were my clothes, and more importantly my phone? I looked around the spacious bedroom, slipping out of the king sized bed, my feet sinking into the soft carpet. I pulled the comforter with me, wrapping it around my body securely.

The carpet was a light beige color, and the walls were painted a sage green. The comforter dragged behind me on the floor as I moved to the floor to ceiling window that replaced an entire wall. The view was breathtaking. I pressed my hand against the glass, making sure there was a barrier. Watching as the forest spread out in front of me for as far as I could see. From where I was standing I could see the wind moving the tops of the trees in the distance. The wind moving through the forest like a ghost. The rain had slowed to a light drizzle, as I watched the forest slowly come back to life. Behind me I faintly heard the door open, I turned around slowly, clutching the comforter tightly, making sure whoever was at the door didn't see anything I didn't want them to see.

"I- I- uh, I heard you scream." Shane said awkwardly, reaching his hand up and scratching the back of his neck, his eyes glued to the floor. His hair was messier than before, like he had been running his hands through it several times in frustration. He was dressed casually in dark washed jeans and a plain gray t-shirt.

"Oh, yeah, I uh, had a nightmare." I stammered, admiring him in the fading light from the window. He really was gorgeous. The dying light from the window cast shadows over Shane, accenting the bulk of his muscle.

"Anything I can do to help?" He asked, his eyes slowly moving off the floor and up my body to meet my eyes. My knees went week as I tried to steady myself. I took a few steps toward the bed and leaned against the bedpost for support. I shook my head slowly, before remembering that I was as naked as the day I was born under the comforter I was still clutching tightly.

"Yeah actually, where are my clothes?" I asked, feeling my cheeks redden. It was an awkward question to ask a man I had just met, even if he was my mate. His eyes grew wide for a moment as if he had completely forgotten the blanket I was holding in front of me. He didn't say anything for several moments, he just stared at me in the big white comforter. His gaze wasn't uncomfortable, it was full of lust and longing, but I couldn't handle that right right now. I cleared my throat, bringing his attention back to the matter at hand.

"They're in the wash. Here, you can wear something of mine." He said, launching himself toward the dresser against the wall, obviously embarrassed by his behavior. He threw the drawers open, yanking out a t-shirt along with a pair of sweatpants and turning to face me. I stepped toward him, and he froze. His eyes grew wide as I stopped about a foot away from him. The lust in his eyes grew as his eyes darkened. I heard a small appreciative growl as he looked down at me, making my cheeks redden with embarrassment. "They'll probably be a bit big..." He whispered.

"Shane," I mumbled, trying to dissipate the tension between us. "I do have clothes." He didn't say anything, just stared at me blinking occasionally. "Shane? My car? You still have my keys." I elaborated, snapping my fingers to try and get his attention. He shook his head, as if he had suddenly understood what I was saying. I smiled and giggled to myself as he flushed a deep red that spread all the way to his ears.

"Oh, yeah, I'll be right back." He said turning quickly and walking back out of the room. He stole one last glance at me before closing the door lightly behind him. I giggled again, turning around to continue exploring the room. I opened all 3 of the doors that I didn't know where they went, curiosity getting the better of me. I silently hoped that a dead body wouldn't fall out of a closet and crush me. Two of the door led to corpse free closets, but the last led straight to the master bathroom. I smiled to myself as my feet became warm from the heated tile floor beneath me. I turned to look into the mirror above the dual sinks and shiny granite countertop. I choked back a laugh as I admired my hair that was four times the size of my head. If my hair was pink instead of blonde, I'd probably look like one of the troll dolls I had as a child. I tried to smooth it down with one hand but nothing happened. I couldn't believe that Shane didn't laugh when he saw my appearance. It was rather comical.

I turned in a half circle excitedly, seeing a large white jacuzzi bathtub and a stand alone rainfall shower behind me. I padded back to the bedroom, my feet still warm from the heated tiles. "I just grabbed what was in the front seat." Shane said, appearing in the doorway to the bedroom holding my backpack and purse in his hand. He seemed unfazed at the awkward blanket situation now, but that might have been because he was avoiding looking at me. I followed him back into the bedroom as he handed me my bags. I thanked him and turned to set them on the bed.

"Oh! Where's my phone? It was in my shorts pocket, please tell me you took it out before putting it in the wash." I remembered, not wanting to think about losing my phone. It was the last lifeline I had to my brother. If I lost my phone, I would officially lose everything.

"I'm not that stupid." Shane teased, handing the device to me. It was completely intact and in perfect working order. I was slightly surprised to see that it was fully charged, considering it was half dead when I had pulled into town.

"I never said you were." I countered, sticking my tongue out at him like a child. He smiled at me and laughed lightly. I smiled back, glad I could make him smile. His perfect smile reached his eyes as they light up. I rocked back and forth nervously on my heels, my hands were getting sweaty from my blanket, and all I wanted to do was pull on the clothes that Shane had laid out for me. I had shirts of my own, but I couldn't resist the temptation of being completely enveloped in his warm musky scent that continued to fill my nose. We stood there for a minute or two, neither of us saying anything. The tension in the air almost too much for me to handle. Shane to stand next to me, moving my bags from the bed to the floor. I looked up at him, getting lost in his dark brown eyes. I examined the beautiful dark color they were, but noticed small flecks of green that decorated the inside of iris by his pupil.

He reached his hands out, wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me against him. My breath caught in my throat as my mouth went dry. I gripped my blanket tighter, afraid it would fall. Shane bowed his head down to mine, his warm minty breath tickling my face. My heart was pounding fiercely in my chest, and my breathing was shallow. Butterflies exploded in my stomach and my knees felt weak from the sparks his touch was sending through me. Shane pulled me closer, backing up until his knees hit the edge of the bed and falling backward onto the soft mattress. He held me tightly against him as if I would disappear. He rolled over so I was underneath him, still clutching my blanket, feet dangling off the bed.

I giggled, realizing how silly I must look. My hair was a disaster and I was only wearing the king sized comforter off the bed. Shane propped himself up on his elbows, looking down at me wordlessly. He moved his hand to brush away a strand of hair that had fallen in my face. He tucked it gently behind my ear before his hand moved down my neck to crook where my neck and shoulders met. He pressed his fingers onto it and I sighed involuntarily. He had found the spot. The spot that he would eventually leave his mark, officially making me his. A wave of pleasure rushed through me as he pressed his fingers down a little harder. My eyes fluttered closed as his fingers lightly traced down my neck to the edge of the blanket. My eyes snapped open, "I need to take my shower." I blurted, coming up with an excuse on the spot. That was enough sexual tension for me right now! Thank you very much! I pushed him off me and grabbed my backpack off the floor before rushing into the bathroom.

"Nova-" he called, but I shut the door before he could finish. Part of me wanted to hear what he had to say, but I pushed it down and leaned against the door. I pressed my back against the cool wood, goose bumps rising on my skin as the blanket slipped to reveal my bare shoulders and back. I tossed my backpack farther into the large bathroom and turned around to lock the door. I backed away watching the door jiggle slightly, fixing my blanket as I did. I took a few deep breaths, forcing myself to calm down.

"I guess I'll just wait out here." I heard Shane say from the other side of the door. I could hear the slight disappointment in his voice from me running from him. The little voice in the back of my head told me to go to him, but I pushed the thought away for the time being.