Just A Bad Dream

Nova's POV

I ran through the trees, a large gray wolf chasing after me. I pushed my body harder than I ever have before, afraid of what would happen if the wolf caught me. I stumbled forward as my foot caught on a tree root, throwing my arms out to break my fall I caught myself on the neck of a huge black wolf. It's eyes were pitch black, and shining with anger. I fell to the ground and crawled under it as it spread its paws to stand over me defensively.

A loud growl ripped from its throat as the gray wolf bounded into view. The gray wolf stopped just short of the black one. I looked closely at the gray one, it's eyes a startling shade of green. I shuffled backward, away from it, fear enveloping my entire body. My hands started to shake, and then my arms. My feet and legs followed suit, until my entire body was almost vibrating. I fell onto my back on the ground as my body continued to shake. Sharp pain shot through my body, I tried to scream but when I opened my mouth no sound came out. It was the worst pain I had ever felt in my entire life, and it didn't seem like it would ever stop.

My back arched as the pain nearly tripled, feeling as if I were covered in flames. My eyes squeezed shut, trying to block out what was happening to me. The pain slowly started to numb, but the worst was yet to come. My bones began to move, shifting and cracking into a different form. I felt hot tears streaming down my face from the pain, knowing I could do nothing about it. Instantly the pain disappeared and I collapsed in a heap on the forest floor. My body still shaking from the transformation.

"Nova!" A voice rang in my mind. I recognized the voice, but I couldn't remember where from. I felt a cold nose on my arm and I turned my head sideways to see what it was. It was the black wolf, it was nudging me gently, a low whimper coming from the back of it's throat. "Please Nova. Get up." The voice pleaded. That's when I placed it. My eyes flew open, gazing into the black orbs in front of me.

"Shane?" I questioned, afraid of what was happening. My eyes darting everywhere as I shrunk in on myself in fear.

"Oh thank god you're alright, the first shift is always the hardest." He said in my mind. I knew about the private mind-link between mates but had never experienced it before, simply because I had never found my mate.

"Shane look out!" I shouted, jumping up onto all fours and throwing myself in front of Shane as the gray wolf launched through the air, jaws wide, and aiming for Shane's throat, but latching around mine.