Memories

An hour later I was standing at the bottom on the stairs with my car keys in my hand waiting for Shane to finish packing. "Shane! You're such a girl! Hurry up!" I shouted up the stairs.

"Shut up!" Was his muffled reply from behind his bedroom door. I made my way to the kitchen and grabbed a canvas bag to fill with snacks. I laughed to myself, realizing how much I've turned into my mother. My hands froze as I reached for a box of Cheez-Itz. I closed my eyes, picturing her standing in the kitchen with me. Her chestnut brown hair laying smoothly on her shoulders as her brown eyes sparkled while she laughed with me. I could hear her soft voice in my ear as she told me that one day I'd be more like her than I thought. I always fought with her about that, refusing to settle down within the pack and become the selfless wife and mother. I wanted to travel the world, learn multiple languages, and find my mate. It sounded perfect at the time but after they were gone, everything changed. The world closed in around me, forcing me into the small confines of a pack that didn't even want me.

"Hey," Shane's voice interrupted my thoughts. My eyes snapped opened and I looked at him. His eyes were filled with concern as he reached a hand slowly toward my face. I felt his thumb move over my cheek, wiping away rogue tears that had fallen down my face. "Are you okay?" He asked, reaching for my hands to take them in his. Sparks shot through my body at his touch and I shivered at the feeling. I leaned into his chest, hugging him tightly. I missed my parents every day. There were no words to describe the pain that I felt in missing them. A part of me was always gone, secretly hoping that they would walk through the door with huge smiles. I felt another tear fall as I thought of seeing my parents one last time. I told Shane honestly what I was thinking and he nodded. He didn't press me for more information, he didn't apologize, he simply understood how I was feeling. I hugged him tightly once more, appreciating his silence.

"Ready to go?" I asked him as I backed away to finish packing the bag with snack food. I pushed the memories of my past to the back of my mind as I usually did and plastered my face with a smile.

"Nova," Shane said lowly, pulling me toward him again. I stared up at him in confusion. "I understand how it feels to lose someone so dear to you." His eyes started to brim with tears as his voice tapered off. He turned away from me coughing to try and keep himself from getting emotional. My heart broke as I looked at him. His shoulders slumped forward and he leaned against the countertop. His arms flexed and he clenched his jaw. He was trying to be strong.

"Shane..." I whispered, lightly placing my hand on his shoulder. "What's wrong?" My breath caught in my throat as I could feel his emotions. I almost collapsed on the floor at the feeling of grief and regret that rolled off my mate. "Shane.." I pressed, moving around so I was standing in front of him. He coughed once more, holding his head high. He stood that way for a minute, silent. Shane took a deep breath as he gave in. His eyes met mine and he started to cry. He tucked his chin to his chest as tears flowed freely down his cheeks. His breathing was heavy and ragged, his chest rose in fell in jagged movements. I touched his arm lightly before he threw it out, slamming me against the wall. My head thudded angrily against the solid surface, stars clouding my vision momentarily.

"Shit." I heard Shane curse. I heard the cracking of drywall before his attention was fully on me. "Baby, baby look at me." he cooed, taking me by the elbow and helping me slide to the floor. His voice was full of concern as the guilty feelings radiating off of him tripled. "I'm so sorry. I just- I have a hard time-" He mumbled. I looked at him before I pressed my hand to the side of my head. No blood. I looked at him and told him I was okay. I had been through worse. I knew it was an accident, he didn't mean it. His eyes grew wide as he realized what I meant. He turned away from me. I leaned my head back, trying to keep the world from spinning so rapidly.  When the stars finally faded and the Earth came back into alignment, I saw Shane leaning forward on his knees as his body shook with violent sobs. I eased forward, careful not to spook him this time. "It's all my fault." he cried, his voice hoarse. "My sister, my family, and now you."