Time To Get Away

Nova's POV

I sat quietly at the counter eating the pasta that Kaylee made for me. It was delicious,the favors jumping out at me at different times. I forced myself to eat slowly, not wanting to be done any time soon. Kaylee was rambling on about how she had practically grown up with Shane and his sister. I quickly realized I hadn't met his sister yet, and had assumed that Kaylee and Shane were siblings. Kaylee was in the middle of a story about Shane getting in an enormous amount of trouble with his dad for carving random shapes into trees for hikers to see. The shapes had spurred an uproar in the local community, especially with the rednecks who were convinced of an imminent alien invasion.

I swallowed the last couple bites of my food, washing it down with a Dr. Pepper. I guess one of the pack members must have made a run to the store, which was very kind considering how far away it was. Kaylee pushed a piece of chocolate cake in front of me, insisting that it would make me feel better. My stomach flipped in frustration, trying to make room for the delicious looking morsel in front of me. I didn't want to be rude, especially when chocolate cake is my favorite dessert, because what person in their right mind would turn down cake.

"That was delicious." I mumbled, dropping the fork to the plate. I leaned back in my chair, relaxing. I brushed a few tiny crumbs off the hem of my shirt and onto the floor. I felt bad for a moment before slipping from my seat to the floor to clean them up once more. Shane lived in such a beautiful home, the least I could do was try and keep it clean.

"Glad you liked it. Shane made it." She said, a warm smile sounding through her voice. My head jerked up in surprise, banging painfully on the underside of the kitchen counter. I moved from underneath the counter, rubbing the back of my head with my hand as Kaylee stifled her giggles. I'd have to remember to compliment Shane on his culinary skills when I wasn't as frustrated with him. I suppose I shouldn't be frustrated, but I didn't feel like discussing my past with him just yet. He wouldn't want me after he found out anyway, and I'd just be an outcast again. "He didn't mean to upset you." She said quietly. I looked up at her and shrugged. I knew she was right, I just didn't want to admit it out loud just yet.

"I know, he's just trying to get to know me." I mumbled, tossing the chocolate crumbs in the garbage after thanking her for the food. I walked from the kitchen up to the second floor where I knew Shane's study was. I pushed the door open tentatively, unsure of what I might find there. I could be walking into the same study from Beauty and the Beast. There could be ripped paintings and broken furniture. Hell, for all I knew, he could have a dead body stashed somewhere in there. I swallowed back my irrational ideas when I saw him hunched over his desk surrounded by papers. His dark eyes were hooded with exhaustion. I moved into the study, careful to make little to no noise as I admired the shelves upon shelves of books. "Shane?" I whispered, as I stood in front of his desk admiring him. He lifted his head to look at me without a word. His perfect lips curled into a small smile that didn't reach his eyes as he looked at me. I sighed heavily, walking behind the desk and standing next to him. I raked my hand through his soft tousled hair, letting it fall back into place. "You alright?" I asked quietly. I kicked myself for hurting him, he was only trying to get closer to me and I had pushed him away.

"Yeah," he sighed just as heavily, "I just, have a lot on my mind." I moved behind him and started to massage his shoulders gently trying to relax him. His head fell back to the chair as he continued to relax under my careful hands. "You're really good at that." He sighed once his heavy eyes had fallen shut as I pulled my hands away.

"I had a lot of practice." I shrugged, remembering the hours of massaging Chris's shoulders after he tore a muscle during baseball. His physical therapist had taught me a few massages to help ease my brother's pain. Shane spun his chair around, pulling me into his lap. I giggled spontaneously as we spun in circles. I clung to his shirt trying not to fall. Shane laughed lowly, holding me close. His arms wrapping tightly around my waist as the chair spun lazily to a stop.