I See

Shane's POV

I couldn't do anything but watch. I felt so helpless. I stood outside of Nova's hospital room looking in at all the doctors surrounding her bed. She had begun seizing and there was nothing I could do. It was terrifying. I stood outside the room frozen to my spot. I watched helplessly as the doctors went about their work. They were injecting her with drugs, and sticking different things on her skin. I wanted to go to her and help but I couldn't. I could only watch. They doctors continued to work as I stood there alone. My mind reeled at the first thought of losing her crept its way into my consciousness. I suppressed it quickly reminding myself that she was at the Mayo Clinic. One of the best hospitals in the world, and the only hospital that also helped the supernatural.

I turned my head slowly to the right to see a tall redheaded fairy clutching her husband's hand as he laid unconscious in the hospital bed. She had been crying for hours now, but it didn't sound like normal cries, just sad bells. Low bells like the ones in the church bell towers. But bells nonetheless. She had brought him in after he had suddenly collapsed in the living room of their cottage in the forest. They had been together for 200 years and now he was dying of disbelief. I had spoken with her in the cafeteria while we took a break from sitting in the hard chairs in the rooms to get some food.

I dropped my head again, turning to the left. I saw a small gnome as he headed out for the day. His daughter had been run over by a lawnmower while she was out to play. She has been here for a month now with no sign of coming out of her coma. He has recently lost his wife of 30 years and was about to lose his daughter. The insurance money was running out and he wasn't going to be able to keep her on life support much longer. The small man wiped tears from his eyes as he trudged down the long hallway looking every bit like a man who had lost all hope. I turned my head back to Nova's room. The doctors had finally slowed and were starting to file out. The head doctor, Doctor Snuff, a highly skilled Mage made his way toward me.

"She is stable now, though I don't know for how long." He said somberly. My heart sank. "But before you do anything drastic I do have a question for you." He continued. I shrugged, not knowing what he was going to ask, and not caring. "Miss Nova came to us with several injuries, do you know what happened?" His head tilting slightly to the side as he looked at me. I thought about it for a moment, my mind everywhere except where it needed to be. I didn't know, she came back to the room with her black eye and was sick. She didn't say anything to me about it. I scrunched my face together, remembering the glazed over look in her eyes when I saw her sitting on the bed. 

"I don't know." I whispered. My fists balling up at my sides. Something had happened to my mate and I didn't know what it was. I was completely useless when to came to helping her. I slumped onto the bench outside of her room, disgusted with myself. I had failed her. She was my mate, my only job for the rest of my life was to keep her safe. I couldn't even do that. I hung my head in shame.

"We would like to perform a full examination of Miss Nova. Including checking for evidence of sexual assault." The doctor said to me. My blood began to boil. I stood up, grabbing the doctor by his collar before shoving him up against the wall. I felt my canines elongate as the idea of anyone else being with my mate flashed through my mind. I couldn't do it, wouldn't do it. A growl escaped my lips as I shook the man in front of me. "She has bruising that is common with such assaults, we just want to make sure that everything is alright. At this point it might be what helps us figure out what we can do to help her. I slowly lowered the doctor, the grief and pain coming back at once."Have you marked your mate yet? Or even started the mating process?" He asked his tone as professional as one could be. My eyes snapped to his and they grew wide. "Ah, I see. Well, that is one thing we haven't tried yet." He finished before winking at me and walking toward the fairies in the room next door.

I squinted at the doctor's back as he walked casually away. He was right. He hadn't said anything even remotely helpful, but he was right. I let myself back into Nova's room and stood by her side. I collapsed into my chair that I had moved to her side the second I had been allowed in. I took her small hand in mine gently, shivering at how cold she was. I looked her over, she was much more pale than I thought would be possible for a werewolf. Her eyes were closed and her breathing was shallow. I sucked in a sharp breath, hating that it had to be done this way, I was hoping to make it more romantic and have it be much more memorable, but if this is what could save her life, I'm willing to try it. I stood slowly watching her face, nothing happened and it killed me inside.

I leaned over the railing of the hospital bed and pressed my face against her shoulder drinking in her intoxicating scent. I moved her hair away before picking her head up gently. I felt that with one wrong move would snap her delicate neck. I closed my eyes as I felt my canines elongate. I brushed them against her skin before I bit through it. Blood poured into my mouth, and it surprisingly didn't taste as horrible as I thought it would. It tasted like Nova, like her sweet kisses. I heard her gasp and move under me but I held her firmly in place. She moaned and relaxed in my arms.

I smiled as I slowly pulled my teeth from her skin. I licked the puncture marks thoroughly making sure that they would heal on their own.  Nova moaned again and I had to force myself back into my chair before I completed the mating process right here in her hospital bed.  I slouched in my chair, my body taking over and releasing, the endorphins rushing to my brain, making it foggy. My breathing was heavy and I could hear that Nova's breathing was too. I ran my hand through my hair as I tried to slow my racing heart.