Shane

"Careful." A voice purred. I looked up to see who I was in front of me and my jaw almost dropped. My mouth went dry and I felt my palms begin to sweat. I swallowed a lump in my throat as I tried to apologize to the gorgeous man in front of me. He stood a good foot and a half above me. His eyes were dark brown almost black as they stared into me. His short brown hair was spiked up in the front with hair gel. His perfect skin was tanned to a light chestnut color. The muscles in his chest and arms rippled under his plain white t-shirt. The jeans he was wearing brushed against my bare legs, as I was only wearing shorts, a tank top, and my sweatshirt. "Sorry, I didn't mean to bump into you." He said quietly, his voice like velvet. At that moment I was thankful that his arm was still around my waist sending sparks all through my body, but supporting my entire weight so I didn't drop to the floor when my legs decided to stop working.

I tried to say something but I couldn't. I could stop staring at his perfectly angular jaw covered with a small amount of stubble and his oh so soft pink lips. For a second I wondered what it would be like to take his face in my hands and kiss him. Just to feel his lips on mine. He cleared his throat and I snapped out of my trance, backing out of his reach.

"Um, thank you for catching me, I'm sorry I bumped into you." I said quietly, pulling my keys from my pocket and pulling my hood up over my head trying to ignore the empty feeling throughout my body from not being able to touch the man in front of me, and I didn't even know his name. I opened the second door and started to step into the rain.

"Wait." He called, reaching out and pulling me back inside. He pulled me against his chest and held me there. "I don't know your name." He said huskily. Butterflies exploded in my stomach at his deep voice laced with a beautiful southern accent.

"Nova." I whispered, trying to keep my head from fogging up at being so close to this man. The smell of his musky cologne mixed with the smell of the woods drove my sensitive nose off the edge.

Mate. A voice whispered in my head. I pushed away from him in surprise and the voice growled lowly. No, no way, not now, not here.

"Mate." The man in front of me mumbled under his breath. "You're my mate." My breath hitched as he said it out loud. I threw the door open again and dashed to my car. My head was spinning, my breathing was rapid, and my heart was beating wildly in my chest. I fumbled with my car keys with shaking hands as the rain poured down on me. "Nova!" I heard his voice call out. I turned to see him following me. I turned back to my car, determined to get in and drive away. "Nova, please, don't go." He whispered into my ear as his arms snaked around my waist to my stomach, pressing his chest against my back. I paused for a moment, stunned at his words. I didn't even know this man, yet he said that he was my mate and I believed him without a second thought. Though being his mate didn't distract me from the ultimate goal I had in mind for myself. I heard the unmistakable click of my car finally unlocking and I pulled the key out, turning to face my mate. His arms loosing lightly, yet still remaining firmly around me.

"I don't know your name either." I said. I stood up straight and squared my shoulders, mustering every bit of confidence that I could. I tried to be strong and exude the idea that I needed need my mate. The thought of not having my made broke my heart. I hardly knew this man, and yet he already had my heart because of one single word.

"Shane," he chuckled, "My name is Shane." I nodded in reply and turned back to my car. I moved to open the door but Shane pushed it shut with one of his strong hands, placing the other firmly on the opposite side of me. "Let's go back inside so we're out of the rain and we can talk." He said, leaning into my ear. I sighed angrily and turned to face him again. I had no idea what was wrong with this guy, or why people were all up in my space the last hour or so. I didn't like it, at all.