Out

Nova's POV

I gasped and my eyes flew open at the sudden pain in the side of my neck. Almost instantly the pain was replaced with an almost euphoric feeling. My heart began to race and I felt like electricity was coursing through my veins. I quickly realized what was happening, Shane was marking me. I bit my lip and moaned as the sensation grew. Shane withdrew himself too soon and I wanted him back. His lips against mine, his hands in my hair, his body pressed against mine. I glanced over at him while he ran his hand through his hair.

I tried to relax as I slowly entered back into the reality of what was going on. I shot straight up in my bed, instantly knowing that I was in a hospital, which one, I didn't know. I felt a sharp tug at my wrist and I looked down. My head started to spin as I saw the IV's stuck in my skin. I laid back down and squeezed my eyes shut, forcing myself to think of anything but the small needles pumping various drugs into my body. I could feel my limbs growing numb as I tried to think of anything else but failed.

"Nova. Nova, what's wrong?" Shane's concerned voice sounded from next to me.

"Needles." I ground out quietly knowing that he would still be able to hear me. I kept my eyes shut now feeling them. Tears started to roll down my cheeks, I could feel them leaving warm wet trails down my face. I tried to think of quotes, books, movies, lyrics, anything to take my mind away from the lightheaded feeling of realizing that I had an IV, or several. My skin began to prickle at the sensation, and I hated it.

My mind started to play Pachelbel's "Canon in D" which is the song that I always listen to when I'm trying to relax. I focused on the music that was only playing to me and didn't notice the other voices in the room until I finally felt the needle being pulled from me. I squeezed my eyes shut tighter and I felt Shane grab my hand to comfort me. I listened to the melody of the song as it transitioned from one part to the next in my mind. I bobbed my head lightly to the song as I let it take control. I ignored Shane as he tried to talk to me. I was finally starting to relax without the help of medicines. The music slowly started to end as the last few beautiful chords played gently. Only when the song had finally finished did I open my eyes to look at Shane. His eyes were wide as he stared at me. I blew him a light kiss off my fingertips as I smiled back at him.

"What were you doing?" He asked after blinking several times.

"Listening to music." I said with a shrug. Trying not to have a panic attack. My wolf countered. I tried to ignore her, but, being the first time I'd heard her, I couldn't. I scanned the room half heartedly until I spotted the unmistakable Mayo Clinic logo. My eyes snapped to Shane. "Out." I whispered. I started to shake. This was not happening. My breathing became shallow as I felt my stomach drop. I was going to be sick. This was all a nightmare, it had to be. 

"Nova-" He protested.

"OUT!" I shouted pointing to the door. He jumped slightly before he walked quickly to the door before turning back to me. I threw my pillow at him hitting him squarely in the face. I crossed my arms angrily as I sat in my bed. I tried as best I could to be angry when every fiber of my being was terrified. I didn't even care that he had marked me anymore or that he was my mate. I wanted to be alone. It was his brilliant idea to go on a trip, I grumbled. The realization hit me like a wrecking ball.

This wasn't just any trip. This was him bringing me back to my pack. Did he not want me anymore? Had he changed his mind? Had Reggie found him? My heart dropped. I ran my hand through my hair and I glared at the door before searching for other things within reach that I could throw at Shane when he tried to come back in. My emotions were a rollercoaster that I couldn't escape. I was afraid that Reggie had found Shane and that all my worst nightmares were coming true. I felt betrayed at the idea that Shane would not want me anymore, especially after having just marked me forever. I scanned the room, trying to take control of my emotions. 

I noticed a full tray of food with a glass of ice water sitting on the swinging desk attached to the bed. I swung it toward me and gulped the glass of water down not realizing how thirsty I actually was until the cool water ran smoothly down my throat. I leaned back, enjoying the chill as it relaxed my sore muscles. As I stared at the food on the plate, the soreness set in. My entire body ached. I felt the pain in my face, the bruising on my arms. The uncomfortable feeling in my lower body. Moments of what happened flashed through my mind. A chill ran over my body, goosebumps popping up all over my skin.

I heard the door start to open so I hurled the empty cup at the unsuspecting person, hoping to cause bodily harm. I didn't really care who it was, the only person I was assuming it was was Shane. I was wrong. I slid back on the bed staring at my brother as he walked to my bedside with the light pink cup in his hand. I remained silent as he took a seat in the chair that Shane had been sitting in earlier. He placed it gently onto the desk before he leaned forward looking like he wanted to say something. He opened his mouth but closed it again without a word.