I'll Call You Back

Shane's POV

"Wake up sleepy head." A light voice giggled in my ear. I groaned and rolled over, pulling the pillow out from under my head to wrap around the back of my head as I laid on my stomach. "Shane, come on, it's almost noon." the voice continued. I felt someone sit on the small of my back and lay on top of me. The electricity that shot through my body at the touch of their small hands on my bare back told me that it was my mate. I reached behind me, grabbing her around the waist and flipping her underneath me as I rolled back over. I looked down at her, her blue eyes were sparkling, her hair was freshly washed, dried, and styled. She had done her makeup lightly, and as always she looked incredible.

My breath caught in my throat as I tried to think of something to say, but I couldn't. My eyes wandered to her sweet mouth and leaned down to kiss her but she turned away as my lips brushed her cheek. I growled as she giggled happily. I would never get tired of hearing her giggle, it was the best sound in the world. No matter what was wrong in my life, I would be happy if I could hear her giggle. A distant ringing interrupted her giggles causing the smile to fall from her face. It didn't sit right with me that she was no longer smiling, my brain instantly went into overdrive trying to think of ways to make her smile again. She slipped out from under me and walked over to the table where her phone vibrated violently. I laid my head back on the pillow, closing my eyes, while lacing my fingers together before placing them behind my head. My mind was elsewhere as I thought of how to make her smile.

For some reason I couldn't quite relax due to a nagging feeling at the back of my mind. I felt that I was forgetting something, something important. "Chris, I don't know what you're talking about. I didn't..." I heard Nova say on the phone. My eyes snapped open and I turned to look at her. Oh shit. That's what I forgot. If looks could kill, I'd be a goner. Anger was rolling off of Nova in waves, I could feel all of it. The anger, hurt, humiliation, and of course the fear. I jumped up from the bed, rushing to her but I was too late. I placed my hands lightly on her hips motioning for the phone. "I'll call you back." She snapped before ending the call abruptly and dropping her phone to the floor. It landed with a dull thud, the carpet muffling the sound that it would have made. She pushed my hands off of her in a huff.

"Nova, I can explain." I started to say, but she cut me off before I could say anything more. I knew I was in trouble. Nova ran her hands through her hair, messing the perfect styling.

"You messaged my brother! Why the- How- Are you some kind of-" She fumed, struggling to find the right thing to say. I could feel the anger, hurt, and betrayal coming off of her body double, triple, quadruple. Her eyes blazed with a fire I had never seen before. Nova began to shake slightly, if I hadn't known any better, I would think she was about to shift. "You had no right!" she suddenly shouted at me, making me jump slightly. I took a small step back but she followed me, her small hands clenched into white knuckled fists. She glared up at me like she wanted to say something, she opened her mouth before closing it again. She pushed past me without a word, grabbed a key from off the dresser, and walked from the room, the door slamming shut behind her.

I felt like a kicked puppy, and in retrospect I was. I had done something, knowing that it wasn't going to have the greatest consequences, but still didn't do anything about it. Nova had every right to be mad at me. I collapsed onto the bed, throwing my arms over my eyes. I had been thinking of her, but not in the way that I thought I was. Thinking you're doing the right thing and actually doing the right thing were completely different. I sat up on the edge of the bed, only to slouch over, knowing that if I had had a tail at that particular moment, it would be between my legs. That girl was scary when she was angry. A part of me knew that I had only experienced a small portion of her anger. In that moment, I vowed to myself to never experience the full extent of the ferocity that my mate was capable of. I turned on Sports Center for something to listen to as I moved through the room, slowly packing everything up that wouldn't be needed for the day. The voices from the tv did nothing to distract me, and I knew that nothing could.

When everything that could be done was done I took a quick shower and walked back into the room, drying my hair with one of the small bath towels. My mind wandering away from the trouble I was in with my mate. I looked up from the floor to see Nova sitting silently on the extra bed. Her eyes met mine and I froze where I was. The towel in my hand dropped to the floor as I looked at her. She didn't need to say anything. She didn't have to. The giant purple bruise that covered her swollen right eye said more than the tears that were swimming in her left. I rushed over to her, dropping to my knees, taking her face lightly in my hands.

Nova turned away from me slowly, wincing as she did, revealing a large band of purple bruising that surrounded her neck. "Nova, Nova talk to me, please. What happened?" She continued to stay silent, tears starting to roll down her cheeks. "Please.." I whispered, my voice breaking as I dropped my head into her lap.