Not My Day

"Nova!" I shouted, skidding to a stop just before the cliff that a large waterfall poured over the side. The thundering of the water on the rocks below downed out my calls for my mate. I looked around frantically, her scent still fresh in the air. I shifted quickly, my clothes tearing into tiny pieces. I pressed my snout to the ground, searching for her scent. I caught it and followed it quickly, my pulse racing in my ears. It led me back into the woods, upstream from the roaring waterfall. After the noise from the fall dissipated I could faintly hear her small sobs. My heart cracked as I rushed toward the sound. I saw her sitting on the ground, her back against a towering tree. Just as I had found her the night before, but this time she wasn't soaking wet from the rain.

Her knees were curled up to her chest as she hugged them against her. Her face was pressed into the material of her light blue skinny jeans and it only muffled the sound slightly. I knew that this was my fault so I stayed back. My wolf was jumping at the bit to comfort her, but in the back of my mind I knew that that wasn't what she needed. Her life was probably spiraling down around her and she couldn't control it. I had experienced that same feeling more times than I could count. I thought back to what she had said about Wyoming, agonizing once more over the idea of her leaving me. There had to be a reason why she so desperately wanted to leave normal society. I just couldn't figure it out. I watched over her protectively from a safe distance, my mind wandering for a few hours while she sat there and cried. I thought about our future, if she would be willing to marry me, what are kids would be like, how it would feel to sit next to her in our old age, reminiscing of past adventures. I wanted this idea in my head more than anything, but if what I had learned in the past few hours, nothing was how I expected it to be.

Only when the evening sun had finally begun fade into the distance did she stand up shakily, leaning against the tree for a few moments to compose her breathing. I trotted up to her silently, nudging her soft hand with my nose. She sniffled, looking down at me, her eyes red and puffy from crying as a few straggling tears fell slightly. Knowing that I was the reason for those tears was a fate worse than death. "Oh, my poor mate, what have I done?" I mentally asked myself as she moved her hand lazily through my fur. Her fingers threaded down my head before she started to wander back toward the house. I stayed by her side, gently moving her hand when she needed to change direction. Neither of us said anything as we walked, by the time we reached the house the sun had completely disappeared. The house was light up from my pack members waiting patiently for news on their newfound Luna. I moved to the back of the house to find some leftover clothes while Nova let herself inside. I closed the back door behind me, too lazy to walk back around to the front. After fielding some questions from pack mates I urged everyone to go home and get some rest. They would meet their Luna soon enough, when she was ready. I finally ushered the last young woman out with a sad smile, her toddler looked up at me from her perch on her mother's hip.
"It's okay Alpha Shane. I'm sure she's like a princess." the little girl cooed at me, reaching toward my neck to kiss my cheek. I smiled at the pup, the Disney princesses on her small t-shirt a giveaway to the small girl's rational. Her big blue eyes sparkling with joy as her blonde pigtails bounced happily.
"She most definitely is like a princess." I told the child, tapping her nose with my finger. I locked the door behind them, running my hands through my hair. Frustrated at the situation I made my way to the kitchen to make some dinner. I was starving and was sure Nova was too.

"Shane!" Kaylee shouted, jumping up from the counter and hugging me tightly. I jumped slightly, not realizing that she was still here. "I heard Nova ran off so I came to make sure everything was okay but turns out you were gone too." Kaylee grabbed an orange from the fruit bowl on the counter and started opening it with her fingernail.

"We're fine. I just said the wrong thing, like I always do." I sighed, kicking myself again for upsetting her. The rational part of my brain told me that I eventually had to ask to get to know her, but I couldn't ignore the nagging shame at upsetting her.

"You don't always say the wrong thing." She countered. I knew she was lying to try to make me feel better. I had said the wrong thing to her on more than one occasion, and she always let me know when I did. She stopped before she could continue and stared ahead. "Can I help you honey?" She asked sweetly. I turned around to see Nova standing in the doorway. Her face was pale as she stared at Kaylee.

Shit. This is just not my day. I dropped my head back and stared at the ceiling.

"Some food would be nice." Nova replied quietly, moving toward the counter to sit on one of the wooden bar stools. Kaylee smiled warmly at her as she pulled various ingredients from the cabinets and refrigerator.

"I'll be in my study if you need me." I told Nova, leaning down and kissing the top of her head lightly. "Play nice." I commented to Kaylee, pointing at her in warning. Neither of them bothers to reply so I left it at that. I walked from the kitchen to my study on the second floor. I opened the doors, the smell of hundreds of books welcoming me. Any other time I would be completely content, but not now. I went straight to my desk where Nova's iPhone still sat. I plopped down in my chair, suddenly exhausted. The last energy I had draining from my body as I leaned back in the comfortable office chair to close my eyes, attempting to relax my muscles. Nova's phone rang loudly, making me jump in surprise. The fast beat was to a song I didn't know. I fell backward out of my chair and thudded to the floor. I recovered quickly, my attention returning to the phone. The screen showed a picture of the same guy from the picture in the home screen. He was calling. My wolf growled lowly as I picked up the phone and hit answer.

"Hello?" I questioned, leaning forward on my desk. Trying to keep my voice completely calm.

"Who the hell are you? Where's Nova?" The man on the other side yelled angrily. I was taken aback, people didn't talk to me that way. I had no idea where this guy was, but I would kick his ass if I did.

"This is Alpha Shane Way. Nova is safe, she is getting some dinner as we speak." I replied calmly, ignoring my wolf's attempts to take control at being disrespected. I stood from my seat, pacing in front of my desk.

"Who are you?" The other man growled. I figured he was trying just as hard to control his anger as I was. My wolf was scraping at the surface, trying to get out.

"I'm Nova's older brother Chris. Where is she?" He snapped. My emotions jumbled as I relaxed about the fact that in the background picture, he has his arm around Nova. I felt a pang of guilt for being rude to him when I could tell he was only trying to protect his sister. The strongest emotion was still the frustration at being disrespected.

"I told you, she is getting dinner." I replied lowly. My free hand clenching into a angry fist. He didn't take well to my vague answer as I heard the shattering of glass in the background seconds later. I remained silent, not wanting to anger him any more than I already had. The last thing I needed right now was an angry wolf from who even knows where causing destruction. I heard different male's voice come on the phone.

"Look," the voice said, "Chris had been going out of his mind with worry and wants to know where Nova is so he can come get her." The voice continued, venom inching into each word. Threatening me. A growl ripped from my throat before I could stop it. There was no way in hell I was letting them take my mate away from me. I could hardly handle her wanting to leave on her own, but to think of her being taken from me was a whole different story.

"You listen here you disrespectful little mutt, the only thing between me coming up there and ripping your throat out is that I don't know where you are. You better hope to whatever god you believe in that I don't find you." I warned. My wolf was jumping at the bit, begging for control to hunt down these two and rip them to pieces. Disrespect was not tolerated. Ever.

I pulled the phone from my ear and hung up. I dropped it back to the desk, watching as it it clattered to a standstill. I groaned, walking away from the desk. I grabbed a bottle of water from the mini fridge in the corner and gulped it down. I dropped the empty plastic container to the floor and pulled my own cell phone from the pocket of my jeans. I scrolled through my contacts until I found the number I needed. I started calling an almost hung up before I heard the unmistakable hello from the other line.

"Hey dad," I said.