Chapter 44

Omniscient POV

August looked down at the white roses he brought Mel, it was August 31st. The date will stick with August forever and no matter how many years passed he was always going to feel low this day.

He held Kay, his niece's hand as they both stared at the tombstone. August eyes got misty and he inwardly thank God for the shades to hide behind. The girls understood where there father was but it was still somewhat of a mystery to them still. Their young minds would never fully understand until they're older.

It would never sink in for August and he was almost 23 years old. But he was happy to be here with his little angels, they made up for the missing puzzle piece in the family. August smiled down at Kay who was looking up at him with a little grin.

"You know I luh you" he said.

"Mhmm" she smiled.

"You luh me ?"

"Duh Uncle Aug!" she laughed.

August bent down to her level and planted kisses all over her face. He than picked her up and placed her on his hip. They both placed the flowers on Mel's grave site together.

****

Audrey sat in the waiting room for yet another doctors appointment. With Tammy by her side she felt a little at ease, these past months would have not gone smoothly if she was alone. She looked at her growing belly and couldn't help but wonder what she will be having. A boy? A girl?

Audrey was brought out her thoughts when she heard her name being called. Tamara tapped her and they both got up.

"You look good Miss McCall" the nurse said.

"Thank you, my food stays down for the most part" she rubbed her arm.

"That's good baby, now I want to hear this little persons heart beat today"

Audrey's heart fluttered and her stomach had butterflies. She was excited to hear the baby's heart beat. She had been waiting all summer for this.

As the nurse prepped Audrey's belly for the sonogram, Audrey looked at Tammy who was smiling wide. She was too excited for her friend. This baby was Audrey's and August, but Tammy had made up her mind that she was gonna be "Papi".

"Okay this might be a little cold" the nurse said.

The gel was applied and Audrey awaited for the process to begin. As the nurse moved the probe around, Audrey and Tamara awaited anxiously for the sound of the baby's heart beat.

"Okay..." The nurse spoke.

Audrey's heart was beating hard against her chest as she looked at Tamara with a worried face. Tamara grabbed Audrey's had preparing for the worst.

Then there was a low boom...

"Someone is trying to scare Mama I see" the nurse said.

Audrey let out an audible sigh, she was relieved to hear the little heart beat. It got stronger and stronger as the nurse continued to look around.

"Wow, this little person is strong, heart sounds really good"

Audrey had began to get teary eyed, she was finally hearing her baby's heart beat for the first time.