Brendon Urie Has No Friends

"hey, its brendon"

"hi"

"hey thanks for being so nice to me"

"no problem."

I didn't want to ask, but I feel like I might be the only one to help him.

"brendon, did your friend leave u at school when you told them u were gay?"

"yea, Ive known him for so long and he was probably afraid it was contagious"

"thats bullshit brendon, he wasnt a true friend."

"well Im gonna be alone tomorrow. he probably told everybody"

"brendon if you get hurt tell somebody, call me, ill pick u up"

"thank you."

"I'll give u a ride tomorrow, if thats ok with u"

"yeah thatd be nice."

"text me your address in the morning, k?"

"dont be creepy"

"w/ some pics ;;;;))"

"bye"

"goodnight brendon"

"goodnight"

I shut my phone off with a smile and turn my alarm on for an hour earlier, like I used to have it when I went to school. God, that terrifies me.

***

Brendon texted me the address to a basic Mormon neighborhood. Everybody in that neighborhood knows each other because they all go to church together. Sometimes their kids even group up at school and make the most generic looking group of white kids on campus.

I pull up next to the drive way and text Brendon that I'm here. A few seconds later he pops out of the front door and scurries down to my car.

"Hey, thanks for giving me a ride." I nod and drive away from this nightmarish neighborhood.

"Why don't you hang out with the kids in your neighborhood?" He looks over at me like I'm stupid.

"I'm a sinner."

"They don't know that yet."

"Dallon probably told them."

"Was that your friend?"

"Yeah. He goes to that church, too. He didn't like those kids, though, that's why we got along."

I hear a distant Mr. Brightside by The Killers on the radio and I turn it up.

"I love this song." Brendon smiles.

"Jealousy, turning saints into the sea, Swimming through sick lullabies, choking on your alibis," Brendon sings along with a mocking deep voice, but still sounds pretty good. I look at him with a raised eyebrow. He looks over to me and smiles as he continues singing.

"But it's just the price I pay, Destiny is calling me, Open up my eager eyes, Cause I'm Mr. Brightside."

"I never." He sings along

"I never!" I join in at the last words and then turn it down when we pull up to the drop off lane.

"Text me if you need anything, I can pick you up if you want, but I have to go straight to my shift unless I drive through a few houses."

"You can just take me with you." He smiles shyly.

"Okay, see you then." I wave and drive off.

I got in for work just in time. "Hey Pete, I'm here."

"Get to work, ya emu."

"Emu?"

"Emu." He repeats.

"Okay?" I respond. Pete's always been known to be a little different. His humor is weird. I sit down at the desk and wait for calls.

"Hello, this is Ryan from the LGBT Hotline, how can I help?" over and over again until it's finally over.

I drive to the lane I dropped off Brendon this morning. He spots my car and settles in the passenger seat.

"How was it?"

"Dallon hates me." He says quietly.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be, it wasn't your fault."

"It wasn't yours, either. It's his fault he's an asshole."

"It was my fault for being friends with him." He smiles sadly. It makes my heart hurt.

"God dammit Brendon, none of it was your fault. Some people are close minded assholes who can't accept that everybody is different and won't survive in the future."

He laughs quietly and looks down.

"Please, don't feel guilty."

"I just-" he sniffles. Oh my God, he's crying. No, I can't watch him. "I don't think anybody else will accept it."

I sigh. "I accept it. You'll find more people who will accept it. It takes time." He shuts his eyes and shakes his head in anger. I can't watch this. I pull over and turn over to him.

"Brendon, everything will be okay. It might be a while until it is, but it will be eventually. You have to keep going until then. Please don't cry." He looks at me with his shiny brown eyes and I melt. I want to wipe his tears off of his cheek, but I'm scared.

I bring up my hand slowly until I press my palm against his cheek and move the tears off with my thumb. The entire time he looks into my eyes, like he's afraid what I might do.

I move my hand off of his face and smile softly. He looks at me for a bit until he finally breaks into a smile too.

I move back to face the wheel and pull back onto the road.

"Thank you." He says quietly.

-A/N yayy. I hope you like this so far. All three of you lmao. I'm gonna do a little bit of plotting before I update more, but I wanted to give more than one chapter, set the scene, all of that. Hope you enjoyed.