The Meaning of Life (for Ryan, at Least)

I remember my graduation day. It didn't feel very eventful. Practicing the ceremony several times for days prior to the actual day lowers the level of anticipation. It seemed that way for Brendon as well. I didn't get to go to his graduation because all of his tickets had to go to his family. I could have bought one easily but it seemed awkward for me to go by myself.

The only thing I heard of Brendon's graduation was the text I got after.

"goodnight I love you see you tomorrow" He sends casually, as though he hadn't just graduated high school.

"how was graduation???"

"alright. I might have messed up my walk and looked like a fool in front of everyone..." I can only imagine Brendon lagging because he wasn't paying attention when they called his name.

"aww that's ok. see you tomorrow"

***

I woke up in the morning to my phone vibrating like mad.

Tyler: "lAST DAY OF SCHOOL LAST DAY OF SCHOOL LAST DAY OF SCHOOL"

Brendon: "woohoo"

Spencer: "hey hey hey guess who got their letter from Chicago U !!"

Hayley: "YOURE APPLYING FOR BACK HOME WHY DIDNT YOU TELL ME"

Spencer: "I did tell u but you weren't listening"

Hayley: "ARE YOU GONNA SEE JON"

Tyler: "who the h*ck is jon"

Brendon: "is jon the one you told me about"

Hayley: "yup ;;))"

Spencer: "HAYLEY YOU TOLD HIM"

Brendon: "( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)" 

I scoffed out loud reading his text.

"dear god not this again"

Brendon: "hey guess what ryan"

"what"

Brendon: "I love youu"

Hayley: "GAY"

Brendon: "(✿◠‿◠)"

"s t o p (I love you too)"

Hayley: "EVEN MORE GAY"

Brendon: "ryan pick me up early today I have a surpiseee"

"okay"

***

I watched him scurry across the front porch to the car. He shuts the door quickly and smiles at me excitedly. I smile back, not as wide as his smile, but still a genuine smile.

"I have good news!" He shrieks. I roll my eyes and put on his seat-belt for him, just to tease him. As I move back he pecks my lips and I start driving.