Prologue

PROLOGUE

[Niall’s POV]

It was my first year in high school, March to be exact, when I messed up and ruined my own life. I should’ve seen it coming; I should’ve expected this to happen and stopped myself. But I didn’t. I was too eager to express myself and wanted to quit hiding who I truly was. Now I wish I were still hidden behind the mask I threw away last year. 

I was in my English class sitting in between Liam and Zayn, laughing away as we all waited for class to start. Louis was sitting next to Zayn, joining in on our casual, yet regular banter. However, I was more eager and nervous for that particular English class because I was reading one of my assignments to the class. It wasn’t just me. The entire class had to. It was just my turn to read that day, and I remember thinking to myself that maybe I shouldn’t read my writing because what if people hated me after, but then again maybe I should because maybe people would respect me more. Turns out after reading it they all hated me. Everyone except Louis who has grown to be the soul person I need in my life. He’s my everything.

Oh? What did I read exactly? Well I read a personal narrative piece. This particular assignment required us to pick a moment in our life and write four pages of description. Kind of like a ‘show, don’t tell’ type of writing. What did I write about? The moment I realized I liked boys more than I should and I wrote a vivid description of the boy, er, man, I liked. No one could tell who I was writing about because I purposely wrote it in a way that allowed me to avoid such precious detail like the way his hair curls in countless spirals, or the way when he speaks, I feel shivers run up and down my spine do to the rasp and the unusual slowness of his voice.

Who was my piece about? Mr. Styles. My Mathematics teacher. His first name is Harry. Harry Styles. It’s such a beautiful, yet masculine name. I love it. I used to always, and still do, catch myself daydreaming about being in love with Mr. Styles and having him love me back. I would fantasize about him kissing the crook of my neck, or me kissing the bend in the center of his chest. My simple crush was taking over my life and no one knew. And when you fast-forward to right now, no one knows still, and I’d like to keep it that way because I know I’d get in trouble if word got out. However, lately I’ve been debating telling Louis. I mean, he’d never spill any of my secrets. I could trust him.

“Niall, c’mon mate, just tell me already! It’s been like a year and you still haven’t told me! I think I deserve to know!” Louis Tomlinson, my only friend, and my best friend, and my brother from another mother whined from across our lonely lunch table. No one ever sat with us because of me. Louis had a lot of other friends, who he hung out with sometimes, but I was his best mate, and he was mine.

“No Louis.” I sighed weakly, merely because for the past year Louis has been begging me to tell him my dirty little secret. It grew bored of this rather quickly. Also, for the past year I’ve changed a lot, both emotionally and physically. I assume you can tell my emotional changes, if not, you’re slow. But for my physical changes, I adapted to having permanent bags under my eyes that were a sickly bluish – purplish colour, and I also dropped about 50 pounds because of the fact my daily food consists of practically nothing.

“Let’s make a deal.”

“Deal?”

“Yeah, if I tell you who I fancy, will you tell me who you fancy?” I listened to Louis’ compromise. He normally was a person who kept all his feelings to himself, and having him spill that to me would probably be a huge milestone in our friendship, “You’ll be able to trust me mate.”

I swallowed heavily, “Ok. Sure.”

“I really fancy Eleanor Calder. Like a lot.” I noticed a hint of blush running on Louis’ cheeks as he spoke, and when he said her name his eyes twinkled. It was rather cute I must say. I smiled at him, “That’s cute Louis!” He returned my smile and watched me intently as I took a bite of my small wrap I packed for lunch. 

“It’s your turn mister.”

“Hmm?” I hummed with a childish smile. Louis looked at me with a blank stare and his jaw slowly dropped in disbelief, totally thinking I wasn’t going to keep my end of the bargain, “Mate, relax, I’ll tell you.” I said with a fit of chuckling. 

“Good.” Louis narrowed his eyes at me and began tapping his fingers against the table in an anticipated motion, only causing me to laugh more, “It’s not funny Niall!” 

“Ok, ok, Louis calm down mate, promise not to repeat this? Ever?” I asked as I wiped away invisible tears from my dry eyes.

“Yes I promise.” 

“Fine. It’s Mr. Styles.”

“What?”

“Mr. Styles.”

“No.” 

“Yup.” 

“No.”

“Yes, Louis.” I raised my eyebrows, something I do when I’m being serious. Louis noticed this and regained himself, biting on his lower lip. I squinted at him, waiting for him to give me a better response than ‘no’, I think I deserved more than that at least, “So…” 

“Well, I can’t believe you’ve been crushing on --” Louis began but was cut off as Zayn and Liam approached us, practically spewing hatred. Zayn took a seat next to me, and Liam sat beside Louis.

“Who does the faggot have a crush on, Louis?” Zayn asked, faking his interest in the subject. I looked at Louis, giving him a ‘don’t-you-fucking-dare’ look, which he got and remained silent. “I mean, it’s probably me, right? All those sleepovers we used to have Niall; while I slept you probably wanked over me. That’s gross.”

“Or it may be me.” Liam pitched, “Remember when you came up to my cottage Niall? You probably dreamt of having sex with me the entire time. You’re such a queer.” Liam laughed, and Zayn praised him but reaching over the table to high-five my ex-best friend. 

“Or it could be Louis. I could see that. Louis has gay face up the butt. Just look at him. You two are totally fucking.” Zayn smirked as he pointed to both Louis and me. Liam nodded eagerly, “Totally. I thought you were straight Louis.” 

“I am…” Louis said quietly.

“Prove it. Who do you fancy?” Liam questioned my best friend. “Niall. Right?”

“It’s not Niall!” Louis spoke a bit louder, “It’s Eleanor.” 

“Calder?” Zayn thought out loud, “Ok fine. But you’re still a fucking cocksucker who would bend over for anything with a penis, Niall. You disgust me.” Zayn spat at me, “Have a good day faggot.”

I watched Louis watching Zayn and Liam as they both sat up and left the table. Well that was something new. They usually never come near us during lunch hour. “You ok Ni?” I heard Louis asked sweetly. I nodded. Lies. Straight up lies. They’re always lies. I always lie. I’m never ok, I’m always hurting, but what else is new. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

So I hope whoever reads this enjoys it! I'd like to thank @MrsNiallHoran for making me the cover. I really appreciate it! With that being said, to whoever reads this, please comment and tell me what you think! I'd like to hear back! Anything counts!

FAN
VOTE
COMMENT