Chapter Twenty Nine - Just Another Letter

CHAPTER 29

[Niall’s POV]

            “You’re what?” I asked Zayn, completely in shock. It was a mix of happy, jealousy, and sadness. Happy because I was excited for him. Jealous because he got a response. Sad because I was going to miss him. Miss him a lot.

            “Yeah, Florida State University accepted me. I’ll be heading there in late July.” Zayn had one of the biggest smiles on his face that I had ever seen him display since the passing of his family. “They would’ve been proud.” He nodded, referring exactly to his family.

            “They would’ve. I am. And so will my mum. Everyone will be proud of you. This is fucking insane.” I rambled, “When did you get the acceptance letter?”

            “A few days ago. When I read it, I didn’t believe it. I still kind of don’t. Not sure if I ever will until I’m actually there, you know?” Zayn sighed, but it was one of those ‘I’m-so-happy-sighs’ and rolled over on his bed. “Did Louis get his letter yet?”

            “Nope.”

            “Did you?”

            “No.” This time, I was the one to sigh, and it wasn’t a happy one, “Brighton will never accept me. My grades are shit.”

            “You know what?” Zayn called out, “They’re probably just waiting till the end of the year so you can send your second transcript into them. And then they’ll see your improvement and won’t be able to say no.” His positive and supportive nature was calming, but I still had that feeling in my stomach that they were going to decline me.

            Later that night I was in my locked bedroom on the phone with Harry, who seemed to no longer be mad at me, “Yeah, and Zayn got accepted to Florida State.” I spoke softly, not wanting to wake up anyone as it was actually pretty late – or early – depending on how you looked at things.

            “That’s so exciting! Good for him. What about you?” Harry’s voice was also quiet, but I knew for a fact he wasn’t trying to keep from waking anyone up because he lived alone. He was most likely tired.

            “No not yet.”

            “You’ll get it. And if you don’t, we’ll figure something out together, yeah?” Harry sounded just as supportive as Zayn did just hours earlier. Accidentally, when I hummed back to him, it wasn’t convincing enough. I tried to sound cheerful, but as a matter of fact, I was starting to get upset about the entire thing, “What’s the matter?”

            “I just, I just don’t want to have to think to myself ‘Oh that’s okay. If I don’t get acceptable I’ll be able to think of a good backup plan.’ Harry, I don’t want a back up plan. I want Brighton.” I lightly pulled at my hair and slumped down in my bed, covering myself with the lightweight covers I own, “But it’s my own fault. I was a shit student and only applying to one university was a stupid move on my part.”