Chapter Thirty Two - Snuggles In Bed

CHAPTER 32

[Niall’s POV]

            “You are not writing your exams, Niall.” Principal Duncan sternly said, “I’m not even going to consider it. Niall your health is top priority. Don’t hurt yourself more than you already are!” I could feel him starting to get angry, but all I wanted to do was write my math exam. I needed to boost my mark.

            “But –”

            “Niall that’s enough. What if I let you write it and you do horrible? You’d have to take that mark then. You’re just better off not writing. Look at this as a positive. Most kids wish for a concussion before exams so they don’t have to write. Why are you so persistent on writing?” Principal Duncan dropped his pen onto his desk as he rubbed his temples.

            “My math mark is too low. I need it higher.” I groaned. I didn’t know either why I wanted to write so badly. It made no sense to me at all. And it was math of all the courses.

            “But haven’t you already been accepted to Brighton University?” Principal Duncan asked. He was right, they already accepted me, but if they see my shit math mark then they could take away the scholarship they also offered me. And I needed that scholarship. Any student would want to keep a scholarship. It helps so much.

            “They’ll take away my scholarship.” I said quietly. I was trying to play the pity card. I wanted Principal Duncan to feel bad for me so he’d let me write. All my other courses were fine. They were all in the eighties now. Except for math.

            “Niall. Don’t worry okay? Stop stressing yourself out. You’ll be fine. Trust me. You’ve been through too much this year to let this worry you, okay? Just go home and relax. Or maybe go to Harry’s.”  He smiled at me, leaned across his desk, and patted my shoulder.

            I let out a small chuckle, “Harry’s actually the one who drove me here.” I heard Principal Duncan chuckle with me and then I soon stood and left his office. I was actually excused from my classes for the remainder of the year, and since I wasn’t writing my exams, I was basically on summer vacation, which was kind of nice.

            It felt weird leaving the school on a Saturday. That’s why Harry was able to drive me. And Principal Duncan was going over the finalizations for senior prom, that’s why he was at the school. He was actually there with the prom committee as well, but he snuck away to have that little chat with me in his office.

            “So?” Harry beckoned when I opened his car door, “No exams?”

            “No exams.” I assured, “He told me not to worry. So I won’t. I’ve grown to trust the man. So I won’t.” I buckled my seatbelt and looked over to Harry who was smiling happily at me, “But my head’s starting to hurt. Mum’s at work, could I go to your’s and nap?”

            “Do you even have to ask, babe?” Harry’s voice was warm and soothing. He started his car and I listened to the hum of the engine as I rested my head against the passenger’s window. My eyes were closed and I was slowly losing sense of my surroundings as sleep felt so good right now, yet my headache was stealing that sensation from me. It hurt too much to fall asleep.