Chapter Nineteen - The Student Teacher

CHAPTER 19

[Harry’s POV]

“That’s rubbish.” I grunted, biting down on the inside of my cheek, “Completely absurd.” I eyed Mr. Duncan as he returned the glare. His lips were pursed and there was a single wrinkle on his forehead. The man was thinking. I hid my hands under his desk and started pulling and cracking them in anticipation. He had his suspicions but hadn’t any proof.

“I just think it’s odd for you and a student to have such a personal relationship.” Mr. Duncan frowned, placing his hands on his desk, “To run off after him, it was almost like you cared for him.”

I furrowed my brows, “Are you saying a teacher shouldn’t care for his students? If I hadn’t of ran after him he could have died. He would have died. I saved him, don’t you dare tell me I did the wrong thing.” I spat, grabbing my leg and resting it on my lap.

“I’m not saying that. I just mean it just feels like there is more between the two of    you, something more than a student and a teacher basic relationship.” I watched as Mr. Duncan hunched over, “I’ll let you go now, Harry, but if I find out you’re in a relationship with a minor, it’ll be the end of your teaching career. I hope you’re aware.”

“Thanks,” I grunted while I stood, “Next time a student of mine goes off and tries to kill themself I’ll just let him do it and when the parents get mad at me for just letting it happen, I’ll happily direct them to you, sir.” I snapped, slamming his office door behind me. I turned down the hall, the hall Niall was nervously waiting in. I saw him looking at me and he could tell I was in a really bad mood, “Come on.” I said, walking past him. I could hear his foot steps pick up speed as he trialed behind me.

He was upset. It was easy to tell.

We went back into my classroom and got our jackets, after call, I had been tutoring Niall – actually tutoring him – when Mr. Duncan called me out of the session to have a private talk, “Come to my house.” I said with no emotion as I opened the door for Niall. He nodded as he quickly left, “We need to talk about a few things,” I said as I locked the door, “Like why you’re still failing my class.” Niall remained silent as I walked away from the door and headed down the hall, “Walk a few blocks. I’ll pick you up there.”

Niall nodded after I gave him some more specifics. Soon after we split, we were together once again. It was small separation and even though I wasn’t in the best mood, I was happy to have Niall sitting next to me again.

“I am so sorry.” He mumbled, his lip quivering faintly, “Everything is my fault.”

“Niall –”

“Don’t sugarcoat this Harry. You and I both know that this is my fucking fault! If I hadn’t of went crazy, you wouldn’t have run after me and Principal Duncan wouldn’t be after you. This is my entire fault. Everything is my fault –” Niall stopped himself from his rant. I quickly looked over and he had his knees pulled up to his chest and he was silently crying. His eyes were blood shot and his cheeks were stained, “I’m just so tired of being everyone’s problems.”

When we got to my place I sat Niall on the couch and sat down next to him – he was still crying, “Niall let me explain something first – nothing’s your fault. Mr. Duncan has no proof, only his own assumptions. We just need to be more careful. You know what I mean, don’t I?”

“We have to break up, don’t we?” Niall sighed, the tears drying on his face.

“Fuck no,” I smiled down at him, wrapping my arm around him, “But we do need to be seen with each other less. We have to put the dates on hold. And we’ll have to do the tutoring after school but in the library.” I watched as Niall nodded, “But we haven’t yet exchanged numbers. We can still text all the time.” I winked down at him and poked his side. He laughed lightly and handed me his phone, as did I.