Chapter Four - Bravery

CHAPTER 4

[Louis’ POV]

I didn’t sleep the night Niall called me. He’s my best mate, how did something like him hating himself so much that he’d resort to cutting himself fly by me? I felt guilty for it, I honestly did. I should’ve noticed the signs like how he never went swimming in the summer, always wore long sleeved shirts no matter the temperature, and how he got fidgety and stressed when I grabbed at his hands. I was to blame because I was the one who was dense enough to not notice he was dying on the inside. I should’ve been there to help him through everything. Niall was always there for me, so why wasn’t I there for him? 

“Tomlinson?” I heard a dreadful voice quietly call my name. I was sitting alone at a round table in the library since Niall wasn’t here today. The side of my face was resting against my fist, morphing that side of my face into something unpleasant, I’m sure. I tilted my head up as I heard my name and saw Liam walking towards me, “Where’s Niall?”

“…And you care why?” I said in a monotone dialect, simply uninterested with having a conversation with Liam Payne. I saw him swallow slowly, the birthmark on his neck rippling as his throat danced. Liam took the seat across from me, not saying a word as is looked down at his thumbs. My eyes closed, only because I hadn’t slept the night before, terrified for Niall’s life. I forced my eyes open, trying to not be rude to Liam, however, it was very hard since he’s part of the reasons why Niall hates himself.

“I’m sorry.” Liam whispered, his voice cracking slightly as he spoke. This caught my attention, and my drowsy eyes snapped open, paying full attention. I sat back, correcting my posture as I waited for Liam, the boy who used to me one of my best friends, to speak. “Zayn called me last night crying and he could barely calm himself down. He told me that he kneed Niall in the nose, and he had no clue why, and then he started crying again. Then all he could say was ‘Niall I’m so sorry’ and I don’t know what’s going on, and I’m not sure if I want to, but I wanted to apologize to both you and Niall. So, do you know where Niall is?”

My arms crossed across my chest as I starred at Liam. His apology seemed legitimate, but I don’t know if I buy the whole Zayn crying bullshit. Liam was always a much more nicer person than Zayn, so I believe he’s actually sorry, but I’d have to hear it from Zayn before I forgave Zayn. “Niall isn’t here.” I said blankly, causing Liam to frown and look back down at his thumbs, “But I forgive you, but I don’t buy Zayn’s apology. When he apologies to me in person and explains himself, then I’ll consider it.” I stood up from the table, bored of talking, and began to leave, “Oh and Liam, I’m only speaking for myself, I haven’t a clue if Niall will forgive you as easily as I just did. And just because I forgave you doesn’t mean we’re like how we used to be. Maybe one day soon we’ll be like that again, but for now, we’re just chums, not yet mates.” Liam smiled at me and nodded reassuringly.

“Are you headed to Math now, Louis?” Liam asked innocently as I tried turning away from him again. I nodded, not wanting to talk anymore due to my exhausted state. “Do you mind if I walk down with you?”

“Sure. Let’s go then.” I yawned, covering my mouth with my hand. Liam quickly stood at my side and we began walking towards the Math hallway. I had to admit, having Liam actually try to reconstruct the bridges he burned a long time ago was sweet. It made me smile and touched my heart. We approached Mr. Styles’ room and I suddenly stopped – Mr. Styles knows about Niall’s situation, his entire situation. My heart began racing as I realized that he knows that Niall has feelings for him and saw, firsthand, the cuts painted on Niall’s arms.