Chapter 1 (Eliana's Pic above)

Eliana's POV

"Mom, I don't understand why Josiah has to come live with us for the summer.  Doesn't he have his own family?"  I complained while finishing my speech for graduation.  I was valedictorian and my speech had to be perfect.  Nobody could top this speech.  I knew it.  

"Eliana, I want you to be polite.  Your brother is very excited for us to meet Josiah.  He is one of his best friends from college.  Besides, I am sure you will get used to him, and I believe that you may even take a liking to him," my mom, Sierra, said. 

I complained for two whole weeks about Josiah coming to stay with us.  I didn't like the idea at all.  The idea made me mad.  My brother was bad enough.  Why did I need another one?

"I just don't understand.  Won't his family miss him?  Won't they want to see him?"  I said hoping to get a one up on my mother.  

"Nope, they are vacationing somewhere close for the summer."

"Wait... Two people from New York City, are coming here to Texas?  A small town in Texas to top it all off,"  I said laughing to myself.

"Yes... Is that a problem?  What's so funny, Eli?"  My mom asked giving me that mother glare. 

"Well... I just don't think that they are cut out for our summers,"  I said laughing even louder now.

"Don't be so stereotypical, Eliana.  Besides, I'm sure they will get used to it.  Your brother has been in New York for a whole year, now.  He'll have to get used to it again.  How's your speech coming along?"

"Good, I guess.  I can't really think of what to write.  Plus, I'm as nervous as a dog on a trip to the vet,"  I said noticing how she changed the subject. 

"Well, I'm sure it will be great, whatever you write.  I'm very proud of you," She said with a smile. 

"Thanks, mama.  You always know how to cheer me up," I said smiling.  "By the way, do you mind if Liz comes over tonight?"  I asked.

"No, it's no problem.  Just don't forget tomorrow we have to pick up Cory tomorrow."

"Yes, ma'am.  I won't forget.  Plus I don't think Liz would mind going to pick up Cory with me."  Liz has had a crush on my brother for as long as I can remember.  It has died down since he left for college, but she still talks about him sometimes. 

I left the kitchen thinking about what my mom had said about Josiah and I.  How could I take a liking to Josiah?  He was my brother's best friend, and I didn't even know him.  It wasn't an option with me.  No way! No, no, no!

"Eliana, Eliana!" Cindy, my youngest cousin, yelled running up the stairs to my room. 

Cindy was only five years old and had beautiful brown hair and blue eyes that sparkled.  I cherished her.  I loved her to pieces.  

"Cindy!  Cindy!  How's my sweetie?"  I asked hugging her. 

"I'm good.  Guess what?"  Cindy said with a smile.

"What?"

"You have to guess!"  Cindy yelled.

"Hmm... Let's see.  You got your hair cut,"  I said standing back to get a better look at her and trying to keep a straight face at the same time. 

"Nope,"  Cindy said giggling.

"Okay.  You have a new best friend that is not me,"  I said placing my hand over my heart.

"NOOOO!  I lost a tooth!"  She yelled opening her mouth and pointing to the empty spot in her mouth.

"Already?  You're getting so big," I said picking her up.