Chapter 17 (pic of Vanessa)

Eliana's POV

I dropped the ham.

I dropped the fucking ham.

James was the first to see what happened. I slid to the floor and sat there for a good minute. James just laughed. Soon everyone else was here and laughing too.

"Okay, it wasn't that funny. Can someone please help me now?" I asked standing back up.

"Oh, babe, calm down," James said as he hugged me.

"No! I just ruined everyone's Christmas. I should have let Josiah help. I'm so dumb."

"No, you're not. You didn't ruin everyone's Christmas either. My father and I got to see each other, Josiah got a computer from you, and Evan gets to go to all the Long Horn's games this season. Babe, you're amazing, and we still have the other food," James said kissing my neck.

"I love you, James. You mean so much to me." I wasn't sure if he was only saying that because he wanted me to be happy, or if he actually meant it. I really didn't care because it hit the spot that he meant for it to hit.

"I know. Now, let's eat."

We all ate the food that was there. Tebow got some of the ham, and he would get the rest the next day.

When we all got done eating everyone left. Josiah went with Vanessa, Cory went with Liz, and Evan went with Kate. James soon took his dad home, so he could go over to Aunt Mary's and Uncle Luke's house. The only two people left in the house was Derek and me.

"So, you just had to drop the ham today," he said leaning up against the doorway of the kitchen.

"Yes, because Tebow would not have had a good Christmas if not," I said going along with him. I just wanted to move on from the fact that I messed up. Again!

He just laughed. "Eliana, I think I'm going to stay in Texas. What do you think?"

I was shocked, to say the least. Moving from Detroit, Michigan, to Austin, Texas was a big change. "It's a really big change from Detroit."

"Yes, I realize that. I have to learn to get used to your southern accent better," he said with a smirk.

"Very funny. Can I ask you something?"

"Of course," he said standing up straight. He had a meaningful look in his eyes.

"Do you like James?" I asked scared of what he might say.

"Yes. He seems to like you very much. He looks at you like you're some type of trophy. If he lost you, he would lose his reason to live. He told me about him leaving you when you were 15."

Him saying that sent flashbacks into my head.

*Flashback*

"James, are you sure you have to go?" I asked sitting on the swing at the park.

"Yes. I'm really going to miss you, though."

I sat there for a while not really knowing what to say. James, my James, was leaving for a war, and I didn't know if he was going to come home.

"I'll come over to your house before I leave tomorrow. Bye, Eli," he said getting into his car and driving away.

I walked home alone. Nobody, but Cory, knew how much I loved James. I went to sleep that night crying and dreamed of him. The next morning he did come to say goodbye.

I was so mad he was just leaving me that I said, "Just leave. Go with all your fancy machines and sergeants who are just going to yell at you!"

"Eliana, you know why I'm leaving. I have to meet my father. I'm really going to miss you, though," he said reaching for my hand.