You Calm My Mind

"Where's your family?" Mickey asked after they had entered the house. Ian led him to the kitchen and pulled out two beers from the fridge, passing one to Mickey. "Isn't there fuckin'... Fourteen of you or some shit?"

"Fiona's at work, Lip's probably fuckin' some girl, Debs is most likely with Liam doing god knows what and Carl's probably blowing some shit up."

Mickey snorts amusedly and sips his beer, not before yawning dramatically. "Fuck, I'm beat. Wanna show me where to sleep, Firecrotch?"

Maybe it was the tiredness, or the over bearing stress of the day, or his girly ass hormones that led him to nonchalantly come up with that nickname. But now, as Ian reddens and raises a joyful eyebrow at the name, Mickey doesn't find himself to regret saying that word. Ian led him up the stairs, the grin never leaving his face.

When they reached his room, Ian laid a blanket on the ground with a pillow, throwing another blanket on top. "There ya go."

"Thanks," Mickey grumbled tiredly. He dropped down almost immediately after Ian stepped away and shut his eyes, trying to will himself to fall asleep. It was hard, since every time his eyes shut he saw Maria's face and the sound of her ear-piercing voice. He heard the lights click shut and the squeak of a bed as Ian dropped onto his. It wasn't long before Mickey could hear the soft snores from Ian's mouth. He felt something brush the side of his face and he looked up quickly, seeing Ian's arm dangling from the edge of the bed. "Fuckin' A, Gallagher."

It wasn't long before Mickey felt asleep to the sound of Ian's breathing and occasional brush against his shoulder.

"Mickey..."

Mickey grunted and turned his head around, pressing himself further into the pillow.

"Mickey, wake the fuck up. I'm actually going to splash water on you."

"Choose a burial spot first," Mickey grumbled tiredly. He was just woken from a real good sleep and he is fucking ready to slice whatever is near him.

"Fiona wants to talk to you."

Mickey opened his eyes and looked up, squinting at Ian. He sighed, rubbing his eyes tiredly. He forgot he was here. With a groan he sat up and leaned against Ian's bed. "Alright, I'm fucking rise-ed and shining. Can I take a piss first?"

Ian smiled lopsidedly. "Go ahead."

After his tiring journey from inside to the outside of the bathroom, Mickey found himself sitting at a kitchen table making intense eye contact with a toddler. He raised an eyebrow, the kid copying him. He raised his arm and set it on the table, the kid copied him. Just as he was about to make a scene Fiona waltzed inside the kitchen, looking hungover and as if she needed to sleep for about two months. She plucked the kid off the chair by his armpits. "Go play in your room, Liam."

Liam, Mickey thought as he eyed the kid who stared back before running up the stairs. Liam. He looked back towards Fiona who was watching him intently. "Need a fucking picture?"

"Need to know what's going on," Fiona said as she took a seat on Liam's previous spot. Mickey felt intimidated under her stare, but weirdly also safe. Not in the protecting kind of way, but rather the trusting. He shuffled awkwardly in his chair, not making eye contact. Fiona sighed when she realized Mickey wasn't going to say anything. "Look, it isn't everyday we get a Milkovich in our house asking for a place to stay."

"You don't want me here then feel free to tell me to fuck off and I'll be on my way," Mickey snapped defensively, causing Fiona to shake her head.

"No, Mickey. Ian told me a little bit about why you're staying here and I just want you to know," Fiona began speaking more loudly when Mickey scoffed at her words. "Sitting around here is not going to stop your mother from doing whatever the hell she's planning."

"What are you talking about?"

"Words out that Maria Milkovich is looking for you right now," Fiona informed. "Saw her today on my way home from talking to Carl's teacher after I dropped him and Debs to school. She asked if I saw you anywhere."

"Fuck did you say?"

"I said no, using my better instinct. Mickey, I was around when your mom was here. I remember the shit she pulled and I'm not saying you're putting my family in danger, but we both know damn well Maria will do anything to get what she wants."

"I just needed to stay here a few days to get my head straight," Mickey sighed, placing his elbows on the table and dropping his head into his hands. "Isn't it just fucking amazing she chose now to fuck it all up?"

"I thought the exact same thing when Monica came back," Fiona mumbled. Mickey looked up with a raised eyebrow. "My mom. She just fucking shows up one day trying to play family like she didn't walk out on us."

It's like Fiona was taking words out of Mickey's mouth. "Exactly."

"What about Mandy? Or your other siblings?" Fiona asked. "Don't you want them to be with you? Who knows what Maria could be doing to them."

"If she's smart she won't put a hand on them," Mickey said before groaning in realization. "Fuck. Iggy gets out of jail today, if he doesn't fuck her up I don't know who will."

"You can bring them here," Fiona said. "You guys can take the basement long as you dust it off a lil' bit and move some shit around. Also might need to pitch in for the extra mouth's to feed."

"Thanks," Mickey said with a small grin. He stood up from the table and brushed his jeans off, a sign of nervousness. "I'm gonna go get Iggy before he beats the shit out of... Maria hopefully."

Without hearing another word, Mickey walked to the door with a weird, hole like feel in his chest. He heard footsteps behind him, and soon he was looking Ian in the face. "Hey, um," Ian started awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck. Mickey raised his eyebrows expectantly. "We're supposed to be at work in two hours, but if today isn't a good day, we could-"

"Don't worry, I'll be back before then," Mickey grunted out as he left the house. He didn't want to leave like that but he had to get back home before Mandy got into trouble. He honestly couldn't give less of a shit about his other siblings, but he didn't want to let them get fucking brainwashed by Maria or anything before it was too late. He finished two cigarettes by the time he reached his home. He looked at the half open door, feeling his heart start to thump a thousand miles a second when he heard shouting. He quickly ran up the porch stairs and bolted inside, pulling Iggy back just before he threw a punch at Maria.

"Jesus, Iggy!" Mickey yelled, holding his brother back as Mandy watched horrified behind them. Maria's eyes were filled with tears, but the way her jaw was set tight said otherwise. "Calm the fuck down!"

"Fuck you! You don't get to come back just like that! Fucking wait until Terry comes out, he'll beat your fuckin' head in!" Iggy shouted at Maria, voice cracking as his overwhelmed sight began to tumble in front of them all. Mickey's heart broke into pieces when a tear slipped down Iggy's face. Iggy doesn't cry. That's not his thing. No.

"Stop, all of you!" Maria screamed. "I'm your fucking mother!"

"You ain't shit, bitch," Iggy hissed, wiping that tear away as if it was venom. He spat in Maria's direction, not struggling against Mickey anymore. "You wasn't here when we needed you, fuck you here now for? We ain't got use for you anymore."

Iggy turned and walked outside, not without sending another punch to the wall. Mandy watched Mickey with terrified eyes, before stoning up and facing Maria. "Just a little too fucking late, Ma."

Mickey side eyed Maria as Mandy followed Iggy out the door. He was breathing hard, feelings his senses crumble at the sight of Maria staring so helplessly at him. "Just leave, Ma. Just go. We don't need you."

He turned towards the door. "You won't take my kids from me." He heard Maria say dangerously.

"They ain't yours anymore," Mickey replied softly. "You lost them a long time ago, Maria."