I Love You

"There's like, a rumbling sound in the engine or something."

Mickey wrote the woman's words down on the clipboard and nodded. "How 'bout you turn the car on so I can hear it myself?"

The woman nodded and got in the car. Mickey turned his head and squinted his eyes in the afternoon  sun, a small smile playing on his lips when he saw Casey. The sound of a loud, ear piercing rumbling cut through Mickey's grin as he turned his attention back to the car, eyebrows furrowing. He went back to the hood of the car, looking through it to find any congestion or something like that. He glanced up at the woman as she got out of her car. "I'm thinking you gotta oil these pipes, and stop pressing down so hard on your accelerator. You jammed up the engine pretty good from that. You been drag racing lately?"

Mickey meant it as a joke, but the woman went red and gave a guilty smile. "Seriously?"

"It's an addiction," she bit the inside of her cheek. "When can you have it fixed by?"

Casey was now waiting by the entrance of the garage. Mickey looked down at the car again. "Come in tomorrow 'round three. Should be fixed by then."

The woman nodded and thanked Mickey before leaving. Mickey walked towards Casey and let out a long breath. "Long day, huh?"

"Dean and I are the only bastards working here since the other guy, James, is off on family death or something," Mickey explained as he put the clipboard down on the table. "Been working all fucking morning."

"I almost feel bad asking this but," Casey gestured to his car, which sat clean and sparkly behind Mickey. Mickey smiled and pat the hood of the newly painted red car.

"It's all done man," Mickey stated proudly, his hand running over the smooth plastic. "Two weeks worth of work put into this baby."

"It looks great, Mickey," Casey smiled, honesty apparent in his eyes. "It really does."

Mickey nodded with a grin. "It better look great."

Casey laughed and pat Mickey's shoulder, then walked off to Dean's office. With pride, Mickey began walked back to the other car, bending over to inspect the hood.

"Well that's a sight to see."

Mickey's heart stopped. His body began to tremble, hands shaking against the engine. He turned his head, eyes wide, face red, and faced Ian. His lips trembled at the calm, collected smile on Ian's lips and his affectionate eyes. Everything, all his confusion and sadness from the past month disappeared when he looked down at what Ian wore.

An army uniform.

Eyes stone cold, he looked up at Ian and met his eyes. His heart didn't feel the same as it used to. He was angry. Filled with hurt. There was no... affection. "You got some fucking balls coming here."

Ian's mouth dropped open slightly, but he didn't seem surprised at Mickey's reaction. "Mickey, I..."

Mickey raised his eyebrows, sucking his bottom lip in. He held his arms out. "What? What the fuck do you want?"

Ian didn't reply. Anger was fueling through Mickey, he felt possessed by it. He walked to Ian, their faces only inches apart as he glared at the taller man. "The fuck did you think, Gallagher? You could fuck off for a few weeks and right when you decide come back I'm gonna be back at your feet like some bitch? Fuck you think, I put my life on hold for you, crying, whining like some broken girl? Fuck you, man. Fuck. You."

Ian looked away from Mickey's eyes. Mickey looked down at Ian's uniform at disgust, eying the Ian Gallagher name on the chest pocket. Mickey's hand came up simultaneously, rubbing his thumb over the name. "Well, you got what you wanted, huh? Ran off, left everyone fucking wondering where you were, made your dreams come true." Mickey gave Ian a push at the shoulder, sending him a few steps back. "You're fucking selfish, is what you are. You know what? Fuck me for ever giving a shit about you, you prick."