First To Admit

Mickey choked up, shuffling back and leaning against the wall. His hand came up unconsciously to rub against his bruised jaw. He stared at Colin, eyes wide and unforgiving. "What- you-"

"Damn," Colin commented, eyes sparkling as he stared at his youngest brother. "That prick got you pretty good in the mouth, huh? Must've broke your tongue."

Mickey feverishly glanced at the unconscious and severely bleeding man on the ground near him. He looked back at Colin. "How?"

"Overcrowding," Colin muttered, lighting a cigarette. He waved his hand as if to drop the subject. "Had a good reputation. Let me out early."

"Four years early?" Mickey asked loudly, slowly standing up. "They let you out four years early?"

"Good reputation," Colin replied sternly again, not liking it when he had to repeat himself. Mickey's mouth dried up as he let out a small grunt of pain when he finally got on his feet.

"Yeah, fuck you and your reputation," Mickey spat, clutching his stomach. "I don't need your help."

"What's up your ass?"

"Just go away," Mickey sighed, turning around and walking away. "I don't need you no more."

Colin watched his brother limp away, his arms starting to feel weak from hanging on the pole. He felt his heart clench at the way Mickey spoke.

"What are you talking about?" Colin asked quietly from behind him, making Mickey's heart break a little

"What are you talking about?" Colin asked quietly from behind him, making Mickey's heart break a little. "Are you telling me you didn't fucking realize who did this to you?"

Mickey stopped. He turned around and stared at Colin. "What?"

"She did this!" Colin yelled, taking the cigarette out of his mouth and dropping it to the floor. Mickey scoffed and turned to leave again before Colin grabbed his elbow. "She's the one did this to you. She fucking knew you'd get all soft for her!"

"Stop, Colin, you sound like a dumbass. Yeah, Maria's crazy but she ain't that crazy."

"Really?" Colin laughed unbelievably. "Are you kidding me? Maria beat a woman's fucking head in with a beer bottle until she died. Maria ran a car over our own fucking uncle until he paid up. Maria beat the shit out of me, and locked me out of the fucking house for two weeks in the cold snow with only jeans and a t-shirt. Wake the fuck up, Mickey."

Mickey pulled his arm away. "I'm awake, bitch. Might've taken you eleven years but I was wide awake the whole time. Fuck you think, me and Ma are best friends now? You think I can even look at her now? I fucking can't! It's worse now! Every time I look at her I feel like throwing up, cause I remember all the shit she pulled with you. I hate her, I fucking hate her more than you do. But this shit you just pulled, that's fuckin' low. Real low."

"What do you want me to do?" Colin shouted while Mickey walked away again, this time rolling his eyes at the desperation in Colin's voice. "I'm not lying to you, Mickey!"