Part 11 Stolen glances and Jealousy

She sat at the desk in her study room that appeared to be a mini library. Hand resting on the arm of chair, leg overthrown other; with a pen in her mouth between her fingers and raised brow,  she was lost in a deep thought. She grimaced at the events of last night.  'Alan'.
That name irked her to no end. It kept replaying in her mind throughout the night. Edmond, name she learned from him last night by tricking him. But what he uttered next in the most sensual moan made her mood curt then. To moan a name of a person as if a prayer to someone, invoking and calling him, believing he would answer the murmur, Alan couldn't have been someone ordinary to Edmond. 'Maybe his special customer or lover...'.
 She scoffed huffing at the mere thought of Edmond's past sexual adventures.
"Regina"! She broke out of her thoughts when Derward called her name.
"Is something bothering you"? He asked in concern and she shook her head assuring him that she is fine. Besides, she had other matters at the hand to attend than to sulk...think over Alan's drama.

"What's the news"? She asked after composing herself. "Like you have speculated". Derward stepped forward to hand her an envelope.
Regina opened the envelope, drawing out a paper . "It's a report that you had asked about the merchandise of Xiang".
"Hmmmm". She bent over the desk reading report about. "And there isn't any official letter or taxation record of his last shipment from Africa".
"That means Derward..." She looked at him in confirmation of her doubt about being framed.
"Xiang had it illegally and is trying to frame you".
She laughed tearing down the paper into bits and pieces. "What is your next move"? Derward asked her about handling the issue and that Chinese lee.
"It's been long since we played anything". She smirked picking up the queen from the chess pieces of board on her desk.

"What are we playing"? An eager and melodious voice made both Regina and Derward huff in exasperation.
"Hide and Clap". Regina toyed around with the young girl who carried a tray to her table.
"Really"? She asked in shock placing cup of tea in front of Regina.
"I would rather play Hide and Slap with that Chinese tea". Derward snickered at his own words.
"You mean Hide and Spank"? She teased Derward who scowled at her. Regina chuckled at the sight sipping her evening ginseng tea.
"Where is your modesty, Miss Annahitha?" He grinned at the shorter girl.
"IT'S  ANNE! For Heavens sake". She blasted at the face of Derward who was chuckling at her.
"Hanna"? He teased her.
"Anna"! She yelled pouting at him.
"Anna"? He smirked
"Anne"! She glared at Derward and kicked his shin making him wince.

Regina smiled at their bickering. Anne and Derward were always at each other throat yet shared a mutual bond of trust and friendship. Anne was 21 years old, her lady in waiting what she insisted on calling herself. She had dark toffee shoulder length hair, natural attractive brow, icy green eyes, medium bulb nose and rich ridged lips with slight squared face. Regina and Derward had found her during an encounter. Her brother was killed. Being underage back then, she had no one to turn to. Derward asked Regina to take her in and she after much consideration let her stay with them.
"We have a banquet to attend, Annette".She interrupted their childish bickering drawing attention of Anne.
" You are also coming Annette".
"I'd love to Regina". She beamed while blushing
"Annette"? Derward mocked Anne with his grin.
"She can call me whatever she wants". She frowned at Derward silently cursing him.
"She can call me whatever she wants". Derward mimicked Anne making her to grind her teeth. Regina eyed them both 'Pain in the ass'.
"Enough you two". Regina scolded them getting up from chair. "Derward be prepared for tonight".
"You know what you have to do"?
"Yes Milady".
"Good. And Anne, take care of my dress, would you"?
"I am coming Regina". Anne sighed then elbowed Derward in his ribs.
"Why on the earth you called her milady"!? She almost shouted in hushed tone making sure Regina wouldn't hear.
"Someone is jealous". Derward laughed nudging her back. She scowled turning on her heels to exit the room.
"Why would I? I was just saying..."
Derward placed his hands on her shoulders and whispered in her ear.  "You're pining after a wrong person. Your sultry looks and stolen glances won't work on her". Anne gasped at his words shrugging her shoulders and hurriedly left the room. Derward smiled at her and followed her outside.

Anne picked up Regina's new dress and walked up to her room.
'Regina'. A lady who always had been her idol. She perched her higher on a pedestal as if she was some deity; goddess. She always had looked up to her, learned from her and tried to prove her worth to her. She always had admired Regina's strength, her wit, her wisdom, her courage, her bold nature, her beauty...She never understood what she felt for her, whether it's admiration, intimidation, respect, crush, longing...She sighed and pursed her lips stopping at the door. She pushed all the thoughts at the back of her mind and knocked the door.
"Come in".
Her stomach did a flip flop hearing her voice. Regina always had a strange effect on her that she could never be able to comprehend.

She twisted the knob of the door and stepped inside the room. Regina was sitting in front of the vanity mirror while Derward was standing next to her chatting with hands in his pocket. She coughed to get their attention and gave a crooked smile.
"Your dress, Regina". She placed the black dress on the bed.
"It's good you're here otherwise I was offering to help her in hair styling" . Derward teased her giving a hair brush to Anne. She grimaced and snatched the brush working on Regina's hair. She didn't like when someone else tried to do Regina's hair or should it be said 'touch her hair'. She grabbed the bobby pins putting them in mouth while placing her soft tendrils in a messy bun. She turned Regina around and threaded her two fingers in her hair to let loose locks in the front.
"Make up"? She asked gesturing at the face paints- cosmetics- and items on the Dressing table.
"Sure Annette". Regina smiled and shrugged at her. Anne tipped her chin up with her hand and grabbed the eye brush.
"Close your eyes".
 Anne smeared and blended the grey and black together with a brush making her smokey eyes. She applied the liner gently and smoothly with the final touch of mascara. She smiled down at her oblivious to the fact that Derward was watching her in quite amusement. She picked the red bold lipstick and brought it near to lips painting them perfectly.

"Here you go". She chirped turning Regina around by her shoulders to mirror.
"Nice". Regina said while checking herself in the reflection. Anne fingers digged in her shoulders in anger. 'That's all she had to say? " Nice" '?
"What's the matter"? Regina asked brows furrowing at Anne.
"Eh..nothing". She put a fake laughter rubbing her arm nervously.
"I am gonna change and you should also get ready".
Regina picked up the dress and went towards her changing room.

"Are you going to stand here in despair..."
"What do you mean"? She blasted at his face and he winced at her bitter tone.
"Stop expecting from her. You are only hurting yourself". He placed a hand on her shoulder in comforting manner.
" I-I..just want her to see me". She placed her head on Derward shoulder. He placed his chin over her head and rubbed her back.
"How about you go for changing
 and I'll help you with make up"? She nodded and pulled away.
"Wear..."
"I know..." She smiled and left the room.

Regina was standing in her sequin black pencil, backless attire with a thigh length slit, heart shaped neckline that was supported by a diagonal strap. Edmond was standing next to her in his black suit but with greyish blue shirt. Regina fidgeted with her purse then decided to ask him about that Alan.
"Who was the...".
"Sorry we are late. These pumps are biting my feet". She craned her head towards Anne direction and her sight made her eyes wide. She was dressed in dark magenta knee length evening dress. It was sleeveless and had low V neckline showing her cleavage line. Her hair were curled elegantly softening her face contour and the black kohl brought her icy green eyes out and made them striking against her dress.
"You are looking pretty Anne". Anne blushed bright at her compliment and stammered at her words.
"T-Thank you...You look beautiful yourself".
"Told you so". Derward whispered from behind and she rolled her eyes shaking her head.
"I will talk to you later Edmond".
'Edmond'. She fisted her skirt in irritation. 'That some pet...'.
She had been there for her for years and she never showed any sign of affection or care. But it had been only few days and she was all over that slut Edmond.

 'Edmond,Edmond, Edmond, Edmond...'.
 They all walked towards the car and Anne was shooting daggers towards Edmond.

"Sit next to me Annette", Regina spoke when she opened the door of car. Anne just stared at her then threw a smirk over her shoulder to Derward who shook his head. They adjusted in the car and Anne again took a perfect opportunity to tease Derward.
"So...Are you playing hide and spank with Xiang"?