Part 17 Masquerade

What brought you here, Xiang"?
 Regina asked sitting on a chair.
 "Are you on a new move against me"?
"I know you killed my man". Xiang stated pinching bridge of his nose.
"It's good you know that I did". She spat slamming hand on the table.
 "It's a warning for you Xiang for what I am capable of".
"And what if it was your man". He taunted sparing a glance towards Derward.
"You would have been dead since I don't let my pieces open...".
"You're open at one side of your block". He told her leaning over the table.
"You're threatening me"? She clenched her fist glaring at him.
"No. If your ears were opened you would have known what's going on right under our noses".
"Come to the point Xiang". Regina pursed her lips thinking over what might have caused him question their defenses. Xiang dropped a package on the table to Regina who picked it up and opened it.

"It's homicide". He told her as she inspected the photos from the envelope.
"There is a series of murder in our area". Regina nodded looking at the victim's body in the picture.
 "The bodies are in... beyond recognition". She told him looking up from the photos.
" They are in pattern". He explained.
 " It started from Ramos's men to the killing of my secret agents".
"Secret dogs"? Regina asked surprised
" Yes, it's in hierarchy or must I say Domino effect". Xiang spoke cracking his knuckle.
" Those men died in a level of hierarchy"? Regina concurred placing photos on the table.
" So if the pattern is to be followed, I will be the next on the list"?
"Someone is on move against us".Derward added measuring the entire situation.
"Question is who could it be"? Regina asked
"There is no clue to it". Xiang told her getting up from his seat.
"We can't manage to let our guards down...
"A masquerade has been arranged at Ramos" .He handed her invitation card as Regina eyed him in confusion.
 " We are willing to take risk for it". He stopped placing a hand over her shoulder then left from there. Derward took the card away from her hand and opened the wax seal on it.
"I'm afraid what I am against to"? She sank on her seat staring at the ceiling above.
"We have to be on our four eyes". Derward suggested knowing that she is fretting over for her position and lives of her men.
"Ready for tonight and inform them all".

-
The masquerade hall was in its majestic glory. Blood red curtains; frills were hanging down the windows, railings, staircases and from ceiling flowering the main crystal chandelier. Tiny golden; sparkling beads were falling halfway down, twinkling mischievously in the air. The room was dark except the chandelier and lanterns, glowing red paper lanterns that threw sanguine hues, which perfected the dark aura of the night. Candles were lying at the doorsteps, stairs and around the corners of the hall adding mood to the theme of masquerade. The floor beneath was of glass and spring water flowing underneath it reflected the red glow of the dimmed lights, giving an illusion of red wine beneath them.

Regina was in sleeveless white mermaid dress. The cloth was gathered in ruffed sweetheart shape falling down her breasts while tulle made high tilted neckline . It was appliqué ; intricate silver embroidery on the rim of collar snaking towards the right shoulder to its backside. Her hair were rolled in a side- chick bun and her face was covered in silver mask with feathers at one side.

 She searched around for Anne in the gathering and caught a glimpse of her. She was in sleeveless golden satin attire with ruched sweetheart neckline. The dress was backless and had shades of copper fading into the floor length skirt. It was tight, hugging her waist and hips but falling loosely down the legs. Her hair were pulled back in a messy fish braid, giving dark highlights in the dimmed room. She was in brown mask with pearls dusting its sides.

Derward was in Italian silk grey suit with a waistcoat, black tie and a mask. Regina's eyes scanned the hall and fell upon Edmond who was in traditional English style. He was cladded in white trenches with black long boats, a black jacket over a white shirt, with silver studs on each side down the lapels , a scarf wrapped around his neck folded inside his jacket and a plain black mask covering his face. He caught her gaze and tilted his head to which she nodded.