Part 12 Check and Mate

Xiang was standing there enjoying his drink. He knew Regina would come and he also knew she would have something up in her sleeve. She wasn't the kind of woman who would sit back and diplomatically choose the safe way. But rather take control of the situation like a puppeteer, threads of every person tied around her fingers. Some puppet master she was, she liked to put show for panic shock, earning clapping of audience in the end. His eyes found her next to Derward, her lady in waiting and her sex-slave to his amusement. She was predictably unpredictable, embodiment of paradox, irony and sarcasm. He sighed and scoffed at the English literature that always came pouring down on him whenever he saw her and he hated it. Adjusting himself and being impatient for the curtain of tonight's play to rise, he walked towards the medusa-if he used it right- to greet her. After all he was supposed to be a good welcoming host, wasn't he?

"Good evening. I hope you are enjoying the banquet". He spoke clasping hands behind his back slightly bowing to give Chinese touch.
"Nice to meet you". Regina spat tilting her drink slightly in his direction for what seemed like her greeting style. Xiang scoffed stuffing  hand in his pocket.
"A simple statement about my poor hosting would have sufficed".
"Truth be told, it's poor". She smirked glancing up at him while having shot of her drink. "I thought it would be a epic theatre here".
"If I had known you're Shakespeare, I would have invited you to roman amphitheatre". He chuckled at her.

Anne who was silently watching the verbal Deux ex Machina, placed a hand to the side of her mouth and whispered to Derward ; "They are playing what? Gladiator or Hercules"?
"They are being Hades and Poseidon". He snickered eyeing Xiang. Xiang might have caught him watching him,as his eyes zeroed on Derward.
"I know I'm Aides..." He came to stand nose to nose with Derward. "...and I will have my Persephone at any cost".
"He called you lady" . Anne giggled at the mere thought of Derward being a Persephone in the caption of Xiang.
"Don't you have guests to attend"? Derward sneered at Xiang, hand clenching shut in a tight fist that made his veins popped out as if ready to burst. Xiang smiled at the feisty fiery attitude of Derward. He always tried to act cool under collar but ended up blowing his top. Xiang's butler tapped his shoulder, whispering something in his ear. Xiang nodded his head and turned to Regina.

"If you will excuse me...".
"You are accused". She said bluntly placing lock behind her ear. Xiang glared her before departing form there.

"Derward"! She called him, motioning her head towards Xiang direction.Derward looked at her and nodded before leaving.

"Edmond". She placed her hand on his shoulder while snaking arm around his waist and leaned in, lips brushing his ear. "Duke Ralph Lauren is here". She whispered while eyeing the Duke.
"Do not disappoint me".
"All the odds will be in your favor". He spoke in cold tone. She waited watching every move of the Ralph, the black smuggler and big fish of underworld. Ralph put his drink away and excused himself from the guests.

"Can I have tea for my headache"? She asked  a waiter.
"Sure Ma'am if you wait...".
"Can my maid make it? I am not accustomed to the taste of someone else brewed tea and I am afraid I'll be leaving earlier". She sighed and massaged her temple to soothe headache.
"I will show her the way to Kitchen". Waiter told her knowing that Master Xiang would have been angry if she left for home.
"Edmond! Go with her since I can't trust her alone here".
He nodded to Regina gesturing Anne to follow him. They walked past the Duke Ralph and Anne ran into him.
"I-I am sorry sir...I didn't". She stammered while apologizing and reasoning.
"It's okay dear". He flashed her a smile molestating her with drunken eyes. She brushed past him, hand sliding away from his cuff of sleeve. They both made out of the banquet hall to the hallway. She glanced at Edmond from the corner of her eyes that didn't go unnoticed in the peripheral of Edmond.
"What's you deal with me"?
"What do I have to do with you"? She grimaced at him taking turn to the left.
"You're seething whenever you encounter me"? She stopped in her tracks and turned to face him.
"Let's be clear, I abhor you".
Edmond started at her not knowing how to respond but her disgust and hatred were legitimate as he was a sex toy.
"It isn't my fault that I ended up here".
"Then what are you doing here. Just run away somewhere else"! She uncrossed her arms and moved forward.
"If that was any easier..." He remembered his escape at one night. He was almost successful in sneaking out of the mansion but just as he reached the secret door of the house, that he found during his stay, he saw Regina standing there with crossed arms and a frown. She led him back to her room and lashed him with hunter. Later applying ointment on his swollen skin and welts.
They  halted before the door of kitchen.Anne thrusted a watch in his hand and followed the waiter inside the kitchen.