Chapter Twenty Eight

Tonight's dinner was a chicken roast. It looked lovely. Smelt just as good. Tasted even better. Scorpius and Rose sat side by side, but did not speak. Instead they joined in the group conversation. They were talking about the war, about where it was going, about how they felt about it. Macie, Niamh and Ailbe were scared. Hunter and Jensen were excited. Albus, Scorpius and the Scammander twins were annoyed they couldn't fight. Rose and Alice wanted it over. The others just shrugged.

Ailbe was sitting next to Rose, and she could feel her edging closer and closer to her. She was beginning to shake. Rose looked at her, concern on her face, but as Ailbe was concentrated on her dinner Rose chose not to intervene. However, Ailbe only shook more and more. Rose looked down to the girl beside her, and rested her hand on the girl's arm. Ailbe looked up to Rose, and she could see pure fear in her eyes.

"Come on" Rose whispered, gently taking Ailbe's hand and pulling her out of the room. She navigated her way through the dark rooms, until she arrived in the bright living room. She sat Ailbe down, and sat beside her. Ailbe was starting to breathe deeply, and Rose felt so helpless.

"That wasn't a good dinner-time conversation, was it?" Rose asked. Ailbe said nothing, but shook her head, and played with the hem of the skirt she was wearing. Rose sighed and nodded, "what can I do to help?"

"I want my cat" Ailbe sighed, her hands visibly shaking as she played with her skirt. Rose sighed again, she was helpless- she couldn't get this cat for her.

"I'm sorry, Ailbe" Rose whispered. Ailbe was looking down to the floor. Rose softly lifted the young girl's face up, so that she looked up at her "just take deep breaths. I know it's hard, just breath through it. You're safe, I promise, you were sent here for a reason"

"I just want my cat" Ailbe cried, falling into Rose's chest, sobbing and shaking and breathing heavily.

"I have a cat too, I miss her terribly. But you know what? She's protecting my family at the moment. Maybe my mum is playing with her now, thinking of me. Did you leave your cat with your family?" Rose asked, running her hand over the girl's long hair- something that Hermione used to do when Rose got like this.

"I wanted to bring him" Ailbe sobbed "but Granny said she would be safer at home... I though this was a safe house"  Ailbe began to sob harder.

"It is, shh, shh, it is" Rose soothed. Rose wracked her brain, she hadn't been like this in a while- what did her mum do for her? Talk about something that calms you. Cats. "My cat is named Minnie. She is a tabby cat, with black markings around her eyes like glasses. I named her after my Auntie Minerva. She reminded me of her. My Auntie Minerva even brought her for me she-"

"Minerva McGonagall" Ailbe breathed between her slowing sobs and more controlled breathing.

"Yes, Minerva McGonagall" Rose smiled.

"Is she really your Auntie?" Ailbe asked.

"No, not really. I have known her all my life- she was very close with my parents and my Uncle Harry when they were her students. They just kept in touch I guess. She was close with all my cousins. She loved us all dearly and she would have us all round every week. I would look forward to that day all the time. I loved visiting my Auntie Minerva, Auntie Minnie- as I used to call her, before I could say Minerva" Rose smiled, a laugh tickling her throat.

"Minnie, like your cat"

"Yes, like my cat" Rose nodded. Ailbe sat up, still shaking, but calming considerably, "what is your cat called?"

"Toby" Ailbe explained "he is a white cat. He is very dear. He does everything I ask him to. He is always there to calm me down when I get like this. He knows me in and out. He must be very lost without me. He used to follow me everywhere. The professors at Hogwarts used to get annoyed, but nothing they could do- or I could do, truthfully- could get him to leave me alone. It was lovely, I miss him"

"I miss my cat too" Rose sighed, "tell you what, I know it's not for a while, but if I get out of here before you do, I will go and get Toby for you- I will bring Toby to you"

"Thank you" Ailbe breathed. She took a deep breath, no longer shaking. "I think I am ready to go back in now" she continued.

"If you are sure" Rose asked. Ailbe nodded, and walked the way they came. Rose put her arm around the young girl- wanting to protect her- as they walked.

They walked back into the dining room, and everyone looked at them. Rose told Ailbe not to take notice, though Rose was sure she did. As soon as they were seating once again, the conversation piped again.

"Is she okay?" Scorpius asked, whispering.

"Yes, just let's not talk about the war again. Honestly, I was starting to get a bit upset about it too" Rose suggested. Scorpius nodded and leaned over to Narcissa- who was sitting on his other side- and told her what Rose had said. She nodded, and made sure to cut people off whenever they were in danger of bringing it up again.

After dinner, Rose went into the room she and Scorpius had been in before they were called to dinner. Nobody else was in there, and she liked the peace. She laid her head back on the back of the small sofa, and took in a deep breath. Relaxing.

"It was really lovely, what you did for Ailbe" Scorpius said softly. Rose had not even seen him appear at the doorway. Not that she minded. Scorpius walked in, and retook his seat next to her.

"It was all I could do. I honestly felt bad for not being able to do more. She wanted her cat,  I couldn't get him for her... but I did promise her I would get him for her if I left here before she did, which I feel is going to happen- not that I told her that" Rose blabbed.

"Good idea" Scorpius nodded. Scorpius stretched his arm across the back of the sofa, and before long Rose found herself leaning on his chest, with that same arm wrapped around her. She was shivering, and she saw the fire light, but she did not see Scorpius cast the spell- though she knew she did, nobody else was in here.

A/N Sorry that this chapter is a filler, I didn't have a way of getting to where I wanted to without it. Sorry. Next chapter should be more interesting. Please vote and comment. See you next week.

-Elise x