Chapter Twenty-Seven: You Think You're Better Than Me?

27) always out to prove you wrong or compete against you. Leaves you no choice but to do the same.

"Josh... Just admit that I'm better than you and move on." I laughed.

He was covered in paint and charcoal and he had marker on his fingers. He was trying to prove that he was better at art than me. He always thinks he can beat me in everything. News flash, buddy, life doesn't work that way. Sorry not sorry.

"But I have to be better." He whined.

"Correction, want to be better. It's not gonna happen. I'm in college to major in art."

"And here we all thought that Maya wasn't even thinking about going to college." He mumbled under his breath.

"I heard that."

"No, you didn't."

I rolled my eyes. Not playing these childish games today. I swear... Sometimes he just spends too much time with Auggie and Ava. That or he still hasn't matured yet. Our gym teacher wasn't kidding in health when she told us that boys mature way way way slower than girls. But just to be nice, I'm gonna go with the first one.

Josh flicked his paint brush at the canvas one last time in a spraying arch of neon orange paint as a finishing touch. I applauded, laughing, "It's beautiful." Total sarcasm and he knows it.

"Whatever, Maya. A true artist would see the real beauty behind it." He argued and he did make a point there.

"Okay... Fine... I'll take it to Professor Dailey and see what she says about it. But just because I take it to her doesn't mean you're like a professional and world-famous artist or anything."

"You are crushing my dreams."

Being a professional and world-famous artist are not his dreams, but okay.

Well, I took it to Professor Dailey and she laughed. No, I'm only kidding. She loved it. I mean it was crazy. I was the one that laughed. I think she thought I did it at first. But she still loved it after I told her that Josh made it. It was unbelievable.

I didn't know what I was gonna tell Josh. I couldn't let him have the satisfaction of winning over me again. I was just gonna have to make up a lie.

"She laughed." I told him, thrusting the painting back, "I win this time."

It technically wasn't a lie. I wasn't specifying which "she" that was laughing.

"Oh," He seemed deflated, "I guess you do win. I'm gonna go talk to her though and see what I can do to improve it." He almost instantly brightened up at that idea.

"You can't do-" He left.

I'm in so much trouble when he gets back.

(linebreak)

"You lied to me, Maya!" Josh yelled, slamming the door, "I can't believe you!"

I opened my mouth to argue back but instead closed it and hung my head in shame. I did lie to him, sort of. And that's wrong. I feel kinda bad.

"I'm sorry..." My voice came out squeaky and weak.

"No, you're not. You just wanted something for yourself."

"I always lose to you 'cause you make everything a competition. You wouldn't know how that feels because you always win! And now, I lose to you in a competition of what I'm best at. If I'm losing to you in that, then why am I even here?"

Now he hung his head in shame. I don't think he realized that. But I wasn't done with what I had to say.

"You think I was the one who wanted something for myself. Take a look at you. All you ever want to do is win. And the second you don't, you have to go and fix it so that you do. News flash, that's not how life works!" Now I was yelling. I'm sure the people next door and across the hall could hear everything.

"Maya, I thought our competitions were fun. I didn't really think anything of them. I thought it was just a thing we did. I'm sorry. I didn't realize you actually lost all the time. There has to be one time you won..."

I shook my head.

"Oh jeez. I'm an idiot. I'm sorry, Maya."

"Well make sure you keep playing that way. It won't be any fun if you let me win." I laughed.

I'm usually the one who says what needs to be said. I thought it would turn out bad this time, but it actually turned out alright.

A/N: The End! Jk, there's still more coming. Sorry for such a long delay. I don't know what got into me. I guess I just forgot that I was doing this. Whoops!! Anyways... What did you think? Let me know in the comment section. And keep an eye out for the next chapter. Bye!!

Follow, vote, comment.