Chapter Forty-One: Flashback...

41) don't try to date anyone while living with him. They'll get jealous. It's inevitable

----------a few weeks earlier----------

Tonight, I didn't care if Josh was home or not. I was madly in love with Alex and nothing would stop me from trying to be with him.

After our dinner out at a fancy Italian restaurant, we raced back to my apartment. Usually, I brought guys to Topanga's and we'd sit and eat pastries and drink coffee. They have the best stuff in town. But my mom and Mrs. Matthews work there and I feel as if tonight is different than all the rest.

I pulled Alex through the door by hooking my pointer finger in his collar and giggled-shushed him as I backed up. If Josh was home, he'd be sleeping and I didn't want to wake him up. I closed the door and pushed Alex against it, fiercely kissing him. Alex kissed back with an intensity that I wasn't expecting.

"Maya..." A scratchy voice whispered.

I stopped and turned around. Josh was standing shirtless with his flannel pj bottoms and messed up hair rubbing his sleepy eyes. Drats... I got caught.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"I just got home from my date, that's all." I responded quietly.

"With who?" Josh seemed slightly furious and just a tad bit jealous.

"Ummmm... Alex?" I thought I told him before I left.

"Maya, who is this?" Alex interrupted.

"My roommate Josh." I rolled my eyes so it would appear as if nothing was happening between Josh and I, which there wasn't.

"Are you dating him?" Alex asked. He was definitely showing more jealousy than Josh.

But before I got the chance to answer, Josh slung an arm around my shoulders and placed a sloppy kiss on my cheek, "Yup. Now leave." Josh then turned to me and completely ignored Alex, "Babe, am I not good enough for you?"

"What?" I was confused. What was Josh doing? Oh no... Does he like me?

"I'll just go. I'm sorry to get in the way of you guys' relationship. Maya, I had no idea or I never would've asked you out in the first place. I feel stupid. See ya in class, Maya." And Alex bolted.

As soon as I was sure he was gone, I turned on Josh.

"What were you thinking?! I actually felt something different for him, something different than what I felt for the others, and you had to go and ruin it!" I shouted.

"Maya, I was saving you. That guy will get hurt you the first chance he gets. He's tried to date teachers and he dumps a girl as soon as he finds one single tiny thing that he doesn't like about her. You don't want to be with him." Josh was far calmer than I would get in this conversation.

"But I did want to be with him. How do you explain that feeling that I felt?"

"Simple. You felt that something would go wrong with this relationship, that this wasn't right. But you were thinking with your heart, not your head. And that's a dangerous thing. You mistook the feeling for love." Josh explained.

"Are you serious?" I couldn't believe this. This couldn't be real. Josh had to be making it up.

"Maya, I would never intentionally hurt you. Of course I'm serious. I wouldn't lie about this and I would most certainly never get in the way of one of your relationships without good reason."

"I can't believe I thought I loved him." I crumpled to the floor and let my face drop into my hands. Josh sank down next to me and held me close.

"Maya, you wouldn't have known that you were making the wrong decision. I've been down that road. I just didn't want you to make the same mistake. It was not a fun journey trying to get back on the right path." Josh comfortingly rubbed my back in small circles.

"What happened?" I couldn't help but be nosy.

"I'd rather not talk about it..." It was Josh's turn to be saddened.

"Okay." I rested my head on his shoulder and we fell asleep together, in each other's arms.

I felt safe from Alex and every other guy that would ever hurt me. Josh was there to protect me and stick up for me. And all this time, I had been teasing and tormenting him... I kind of felt bad. He loved me. Whether it was true love or family-like love, he loved me either way.

A/N: another shortie... Jeez, I'm sorry. I don't know what's wrong with me. I keep trying to make them longer, but I just don't have it in me. Hope you like it anyways.

Disclaimer: Alex is mine, as disgusting as he is. But Maya and Josh are Disney's.

Follow, vote, comment.