Chapter Thirty-Nine: Guys' Nights

39) video game and football nights with his guy friends. Don't expect to get any work done

Alone at last, I thought to myself as I set down with my newest sketchbook assignment; we have to take our favorite picture and draw it. Everyone else just picked something easy, like a sunset (all you really gotta do is color) or a selfie. Mine is of me and Riley and Lucas and Farkle and Smackle and Zay all holding hands and standing in the ocean with the sunset in the background. So I have to draw all of us, plus the sunset and it's reflection on the water. I have a week to complete the assignment (I just received it today.), but figured I should get started now since it will take me awhile.

Josh said he'd be at his friends house to watch a football game or play video games or something, so I knew I had the place to myself to focus entirely on my assignment. But how many times does Josh say he'll be someplace then ends up coming back here? A lot. So I partially prepared myself for Josh and a few of his buddies to be here tonight as well.

What I didn't expect was for Josh and all of his buddies to crash here tonight...

I was sitting on the couch with everything I needed spread around me: colored pencils, sketch pencils, the photo, erasers, watercolors, pastels, markers, Sharpies, you name it I probably had it there with me. Suddenly there was a knock on the door...

"Come in!" I hollered. At the time, I assumed it was Riley or one of my art class friends that needed help on the assignment.

Josh and about seven or eight other guys burst through the door, laughing hysterically. They were shoving each other around, each with a glass bottle of Coke in their hands. Joy....

"Hey, Maya..." Josh waved, "I don't want to be rude but can you go in your room or something? I don't want to bother you with our volume. Plus, we need the couch. The game is on in like ten minutes."

"No problem. Give me ten seconds to grab my things." I swept everything on top of my sketchbook and hurried off.

I had about ten minutes of almost quiet to work. Then the game started... The boys got super rowdy. It was hard to concentrate on what I was doing next or even at that moment. I tried everything to quiet them so I could work but nothing worked. I played loud music; they yelled at me to turn it down. I put on headphones/earbuds; I could still hear them. I even physically asked them to keep it down; they did for about three minutes, then one of the teams got a touchdown.

I was considering calling Riley to ask her if I could crash at hers that night until it started to get quieter and quieter. It was odd. With so many boys and a game on TV in one apartment, it shouldn't be this silent. I had to investigate.

When I came into the living room, Josh was the only one left and there was still fifteen minutes of the game left.

"Hey... Where'd everyone go?" I asked, kind of sneaking up on Josh and causing him to jump slightly.

"Oh, they left. It's obvious who's going to win." He gestured to the score at the bottom of the TV screen, "Wanna watch the rest with me, though?"

"Sure." I sat down next to him, snuggling into his warmth.

Josh was right; it was obvious who was going to win. I didn't recognize any of the teams, but the blue team was leading by 14 points. I stole Josh's Coke right out of his hand and took a long swig.

"Ahhhhh... Refreshing..." I giggled at the stupidity of that statement.

Josh laughed too. He continued laughing well after I was done though.

"Josh, are you okay?" Seriously... What was up with him? I didn't see what was so funny.

"Yeah I'm fine... I just saw what the side of the bottle said." I was actually kind of afraid to look. But I was curious. Half my brain was urging me to read it and the other half was like no way sister, this might be bad. I listened to the first half and turned the bottle around.

Share a Coke with your girlfriend, it read. Okay... I don't see what's so funny about that. Really, there's nothing funny about that. Unless you're a guy and you're sharing it with your guy friend and you're not gay. But still, even that's not funny. So what was he laughing about?

"I don't get it..." I just looked at Josh with my head cocked to the side.

"I didn't even realize it said that when I grabbed it out of the fridge. Huh... I was saving it and I thought I put it in the very back. Must've ran out. But I guess now is as good a time as any." Josh said.

"Josh, I'm really confused. Can you please explain what's going on here?"

"Maya... Will you be my girlfriend?" Josh asked.

I could only let my jaw fall open in shock. Was this really happening? Joshua Matthews, my childhood crush, was asking me to be his girlfriend. I wanted to scream from excitement.

"Oh... You don't like me in that way anymore? Do you?" Josh's face fell with disappointment.

"No. Not at all. I just couldn't find the words to say. I still can't find the words to say. So how about this instead?" I leaned in and kissed him, hoping he'd take it for a yes.

A/N: I know it's short. Someone please just give me a word minimum. But at least that's the part y'all have been waiting for right? What's left? Let me know what you want to see for the future with them. Until next time...

Disclaimer: I don't own these characters or Coke or Sharpies. There would be a million and two different colors of Sharpies if I owned those.

Follow, vote, comment.