Chapter 35

"Hi mom!" I said, pressing the phone to my ear.

"Hey, sweetheart. How are you?"she asked.

"I'm okay, how are you?"

"Fine . How's school?"

"It's good,mom. How's Grandma?"

"She's much better now.Ashley, actually I called to tell you that-"

"-Ashy! We're having lunch!" Aaron yelled.

"Who was that?"

"Uh, that was Aaron, he lives here."

"Aaron?"

"Yeah,why?"

"Oh, nothing.I was just going to tell you I'll be back by next week."

My heart sank . Don't get me wrong, I loved my mom to bits.It was just...Aaron.

"That's great, mom!" I forced the words out of my mouth.

"Okay I have to go,speak to you later."

"Bye mom."

"Take care," she said and hung up.

I drew in a deep breath. Oh,this was going to be hard.

All through lunch I was just thinking this : Next Week.

After such a long time of being with him almost all the time, not always having him around was going to be hard.

"What's wrong Ashy?" Aaron asked softly, probably having noticed that I hadn't even touched my lasagna.

"It's nothing," I replied, putting a forkful of the lasagna into my mouth to avoid answering his question for a while.

He frowned."Tell me," he said in a demanding voice.

I shook my head as I chewed slowly.

"It's nothing, Aaron," I said after I'd swallowed.

"Ashley."

"Aaron."

"Please?"

"My mom's coming back next week."

His eyes widened."Next week?"

"Next week."

"That's... so soon."

I slumped in my chair. "I know."

"It'll be okay, Ashy. I mean it's not like we're not going to see each other, right? We just have to get used to not seeing each other as often."

I nodded, pretending to understand.

"You're really going next week?" Amanda piped in. She'd been quiet till now and I'd forgotten she was there.

"Apparently," I shrugged.

"I'm going to miss you." she said.She looked sad.

"I'll miss you too," I replied honestly. She'd been nothing but nice to me since the day we first met.

Aaron didn't say anything for a while.He looked like he was thinking hard about something.

Finally he spoke,"You up for a date tonight, Ashy?" he said with a playful smile on his lips.

"Definitely," I smiled, suddenly cheering up.

"Time for a group hug!" Amanda declared, scurrying over to me to give me a hug (which was basically her squeezing the life out of me) . Aaron did the same .I hugged them both back with a laugh. I was so lucky to have these people in my life.