Chapter 8

''Hey Cole."

"Hey.How are you?"

"I'm... well,not great.Can you pick me up right now please?It's important," I told Cole over the phone.

"I-Yeah.Is everything alright?"

"I can't find Trent.He isn't home and he isn't answering his phone."

It was getting too much.No matter how hard I tried to make things work,something always went wrong.Always.

Like the pain of losing my best friend wasn't enough already,I had to see my other best friend devastated and now this?It was too much to take and I very nearly broke down but I didn't.I somehow resisted it.

"Ashley, he probably just wants to be alone.Give him some time."

"But Cole,he never disappears like this.You know him."

"I guess you're right.I'll be there in soon,okay?Don't worry," he said reassuringly.

"Yeah thank-Hey,wait.I'm not at Kayla's house.I'll text you the address ,yeah?"

"Wait, aren't you at the Woods'?"

"Yeah?"

"Don't worry I got it.Be there soon," he said and hung up.

Considering how Cole lived twenty minutes away from my house,it would probably take him even longer to reach this place.

But that was way too long.I couldn't wait that long. I needed to find Trent and I needed to find him soon.

I decided to walk.I couldn't just sit there and wait for Cole to turn up.
I was getting really anxious.

But as soon as I went outside the house,a car pulled into the driveway-with Aaron inside.

I glanced at him as as he stepped out of the car.Our eyes made contact and he shot me a curious look.

I ignored him and continued walking.

"Hey!" he called from behind.

I turned around. "What?"

"Are you..uh ..going somewhere?"he asked,walking closer to me.

"Yeah,why?"

"Do you want me to...drop you?"he said hesitantly.

I raised my eyebrows in surprise.

Why was he being nice today?I would've refused but I really needed to find Trent soon.

"Well,I could use a ride. But..." I chewed on my bottom lip.

"Is everything okay?"he asked,frowning.

"Um,my...my friend,Trent-I can't find him."

"Let's go," he said and kind of, sort of,gave me a small smile. Or maybe that was my imagination?Was Aaron Woods actually being nice to me?It was most definitely my imagination.

I smiled back despite myself, looking into his warm eyes.

He wasn't a bad person, just a slightly crazy one.

He led the way and I followed him to the same car he'd just gotten out of a few minutes ago.

I texted Cole that I had gotten a ride. He replied saying that he'd go look at other places where he could be.

"Hey,you don't have to come. I can go on my own," I told him when I saw him climb into the backseat.

"Well, I don't have anything else to do so I might as well go with you," he shrugged, nonchalantly.