Chapter 1: Partners

"You're in my way."
Kevin jumped as he felt Double D's breath in his ear.
"I-I apologize Eddward! I didn't know you were behind me!"
"Yeah, whatever." Double D brushed past Kevin and took his seat in the front of the class. He removed his biology book and placed it on his desk. Kevin scurried to his seat two rows behind Double D just as the bell rang.

"Good afternoon class. We'll be pairing off for lab partners today." Whispers filled the room as the students excited mumbled amongst themselves. Double D rolled his eyes and crossed his arms over his chest.
"I've already taken the liberty in assigning partners. No, you cannot switch, and yes, you will keep the same partner for the rest of the year." The class let out a collective groan.
"Tch, this is so stupid. Why should I be forced to partner with an idiot? I'll just end up doing all of the work as usual."
"This is fucking dumb."
"I'm sorry, what was that Eddward?"
"I said I'm going to the bathroom." Double D stood up and walked out of the classroom. He lit a cigarette as soon as he stepped into the bathroom. He stood by the window and pondered who would be his partner for the next few months.
"Ed and Eddy are definitely out of the question. Even our moron of a teacher knows better than to pair any of us together. That just leaves 21 other people. He'll probably try to put me with one of those dumb ass jocks to help get their grade up."

He stomped his cigarette out with his boot and walked back to class.
"Kevin, you and Eddward will be working together."
Double D glanced over at Kevin before taking his seat. His freckles disappeared as he began to blush. He tucked his head down and stared at his desk as he made eye contact with Double D.
"Well isn't that a surprise. Putting the two smartest people together? Heh, this'll be interesting."
***************************************
Kevin shut his locker and twisted the lock. He walked out of the building and made his way towards the cul-de-sac.
"Move it nerd."
He felt a strong hand push him into the chainlink fence that he was walking by. He looked up and saw one of the football players from the rival school walking past him.
"I believe there is ample space on the sidewalk." The jock scowled and turned to face Kevin.
"Are you trying to talk back to me you little dweeb?"
"I'm merely stating that there was no need for your rude actions."
The jock grabbed Kevin's shirt and pinned him against the fence.
"Rude? You wanna see rude ya little prick?!" He pulled a clenched fist back and sent it flying towards Kevin's face. He shut his eyes and braced himself for the incoming punch. A loud smack followed by the swish of a pocket knife filled the air. He felt himself fall to the ground and without hesitation, he stood up and ran towards his home. He heard footsteps quickly approaching him from behind. He rounded a corner and ducked behind a row of shrubs.
"I shouldn't have said anything to him! Curse my smart-mouthed nature!"

The footsteps drew nearer. He shut his eyes and prayed that his green sweater would blend into the shrubbery.
"Why is he doing this? I did nothing wrong!"

A twig snapped under Double D's shoe as he approached a shivering Kevin.
"He's not even hiding well. And he's shaking the whole bush."
He held his bruised wrist in his hand as he took another step forward. Kevin jumped and began shaking even harder. He could sense someone standing in front of him. He pulled himself into a tight ball as the person bent over.

Double D smirked and crouched in front of the shaking redhead.
"Are you seriously that much of a wuss?"
Kevin peeked his head above his arms and locked eyes with Double D. He felt his face being tilted up and then to both sides.
"Are you hurt?"
He hadn't realized it before but the punch had never actually landed on him.
"I-I" He felt his face grow hot.
"I'll take that as a no."
Double D stood up and held out his left hand.
"A knife won't scare him off for long. Get up before he shoots up some steroids and comes looking for you."
"What?" Kevin glanced at Double D's right hand. Part of it was dark blue and had begun to swell. Double D rolled his eyes and pulled Kevin up by the arm.
"Stop wasting time."
"Eddward... what happened to your hand?"
"Don't worry about it."

They began walking in silence. Kevin glanced over at Double D. He was staring straight ahead as he cradled his injured hand.
"Why did you block that punch for me?"
"If I hadn't, you'd be in a coma and I'd be out of a lab partner."
"......Thank you Eddward."
"Whatever. Just don't make me regret it."

They rounded the corner to the cul-de-sac. Double D walked Kevin to his house and stood at his doorway.
"Thank you again Eddward. I'm very grateful for your kind deed."
"Don't expect me to protect you next time loser."
Kevin stared at the ground as a blush crept across his face. Double D tilted Kevin's chin up and brought his face close to his. Kevin drew in a sharp breath as he realized just how close Double D was to him.
"You know, you look a little like a pumpkin when you blush."
"Huh?"
Double D pulled away and walked towards his home.

"Erm... I'll see you tomorrow Eddward. Thanks again!"
Double D raised his good hand as he walked away. Kevin entered his house and shut his door. He leaned against the door and sighed.
"That was truly nice of him. I would have never expected such kindness from him."
*************************************

Double D grunted as he stood up to answer his doorbell. He opened the door and was greeted by the top of a red hat. Kevin nervously stared at the ground as he felt Double D's eyes studying him.
"What's up Pumpkin?"
"Pumpkin?" Is he giving me a nickname?"
"Um... I-I wanted to give you these as a token of appreciation for earlier." He held out a premium first aid kit and a small bag of jawbreakers.
Double D sighed and gave him a slight smirk.
"Thanks."

"Um... you're welcome Eddward." He glanced at Double D's hand. It was poorly bandaged with large sections of the bruises still showing. He grabbed it and examined it closely. It was apparent Double D had struggled to use his left hand to wrap the injuries.
"Er- what are you doing?"
Kevin gently ran his fingers over the swimmer's hand. He winced and pulled his hand away.
"It seems that you're finger is broken Eddward. I can make a splint for it if you'd like. It's the least I could do after all."
"It's not as bad as it looks. You don't have to beat yourself up over this."
"I won't worry about it if you let me set your finger."
Double D sighed and gave a soft chuckle. "Fine."
Kevin grinned and opened the kit.
**************************************
"There. All done." Kevin grinned at his handiwork. Double D looked at his re-bandaged hand.
"It does feel a lot better."
He turned away from Kevin.
"Hm...This is pretty good work. I might save you a few more times if you can keep up this good work. Thanks again, Pumpkin."
Kevin felt his heart race from the compliment. He nodded happily and ran down Double D's driveway.
"See you tomorrow Eddward!"
Double D smirked and walked back inside his house.
"This'll be a very interesting year."