Chapter 21: Fight

Double D groaned as he sat up in bed. He stopped mid-stretch when his arm hit something warm hiding underneath the pile of covers. A tired grunt drifted from beneath the fabric.
"Pumpkin? When did you get in here?"
"Mh."
"Have you just decided to move into my room?"
Kevin shifted around before falling still again. Double D chuckled and poked at the boy huddled up within the sheets.
"Come on. Let's get up and eat."
"Mh."
"Aren't we a little too old for the baby noises?"
"Mm-mm"
Double D pulled back the blanket just enough to expose Kevin's eyes.
"Mmph!"
"Wake up my little Pumpkin..." He sang. "Don't waste the day away."
"Mh"
"Fine. Stay under there. I'll be doing productive things with my life if you need me."
"Mh"
The emerald eyes slowly opened and looked up at him. The morning sun hit them in such a way that they glistened like real gems. The innocence of the moment made Double D's heart stop.

His hand gently cupped the cheek hidden under the sheets. The ginger sighed and nuzzled his face in the warm hand. A wide smile suddenly appeared on Double D's face. It exposed his gap for a brief moment before he pinned Kevin down and attacked his face with a flurry of kisses.
"E-Eddward!"
Double D laughed as he continued his assault on the blushing face.
"This is your punishment for not listening."
Kevin giggled and playfully rolled Double D onto his back.
"Oh? Trying to fight back now, Pumpkin?"
"Haha, nothing like that, Eddward."
He placed a kiss on the swimmer's  cheek before trying to crawl away.

Double D caught his hand and pulled him back into his arms.
"Just who do you think you are all of a sudden?"
He rolled back on top of the ginger and placed a kiss on his pink lips. Kevin sat up just enough to return the kiss before straddling Double D's waist and turning him onto his back again.
"Nobody special. Just someone trying to go back to sleep."
Double D smirked and pinned Kevin's arms to his body and flipped once more.
"You'd better be careful, Pumpkin."
A matching grin appeared on the ginger's face as he moved to sit on top of Double D again.
"And why's that Eddw-AHH!"

Double D burst into laughter as he looked over the edge of the bed at Kevin.
"I bet you're awake now, huh Pumpkin?"
"Ha. Ha. Ha."
The small boy pouted as he climbed to his feet.
"Are you okay, Pumpkin?"
Tears of laughter rolled down Double D's face as he watched Kevin jokingly stomp out of the room.
******************************************

Kevin sighed and leaned against Double D's shoulder. His stomach was stuffed from the large breakfast the swimmer had cooked for them. A long arm reached around his body and held him close. He could feel himself drifting off to sleep in the raven's embrace.
"Why are you so tired today Pumpkin?"
"I couldn't sleep."
"Why?"
"Because I..."
Kevin's face began to heat up as he returned the hug.
"You what?"
"I... was watching you sleep. You were smiling  all night long and I couldn't look away."
Double D chuckled and stood up to stretch.
"You're weird Pumpkin."
The ginger pouted and hung his head. His cheek was gently caressed as warm breath hit his ear.
"I like weird."
His face erupted in a hot blush.
"I-I-I d-didn't mean t-to be w-weird! I-I just t-thought..."
Another laugh came from the swimmer. He placed a kiss on the red skin before pulling Kevin into the living room. More kisses peppered the blushing face before their bodies toppled onto the couch.
"E-eddward!"
"You're tired right? Let's take a nap together."

Double D's arms wrapped around Kevin's small body and refused to let go.
"Ed-"
"Shh."
"Can I-"
"No. Go to sleep. Dark circles don't really suit your face."
He gave up struggling against the swimmer and closed his eyes. A few moments passed before he spoke.
"Eddward?"
"Why do you ask so many questions?"
"This isn't a question."
"What?"
He turned to face the boy that held him in his arms.
"You should smile more often. It really suits your face."
"Heh, maybe I will. I think I finally found something that makes me happy."
Green eyes looked up at Double D's closed lids.
A smile slowly spread across Kevin's face as he squeezed the swimmer tight and buried his face into his strong chest. Double D's heartbeat lulled him into a deep, peaceful sleep.
******************************************

The sound of mail hitting the floor stirred Kevin awake. He untangled himself from Double D's hold and went to retrieve the envelopes scattered on the floor. One in particular stood out amongst the rest. It was slightly off colored and had ornate handwriting on it. It was addressed to Double D from Doctor Vincent. His fingers traced the flap of the envelope and lifted a corner.
"Curiosity killed the cat."
He jumped and spun around to meet glaring blue eyes.
"E-Eddward! I-I d-didn't mean t-to pry!"

Double D snatched the envelope from his hand and opened it. A piece of folded paper tumbled out into his hand. He detached the check that was taped to the bottom and threw the paper into a drawer filled with more letters.
"Eddward..."
"What."
"I..."
"You what?"
Double D's frown returned with full force. Kevin shivered from the cold stare that the swimmer gave him.
"I'm sorry..."
Tears welled in the ginger's eyes as he backed against the door. A whimper escaped his throat as he watched Double D's hands ball into tight fists. The swimmer turned away and stormed into the kitchen.
***************************************

The tears fell as Kevin walked down the street. He had quickly decided to get out of the house and get some air. He sniffled and wiped his face on his sweater.
"I'm sorry Eddward... I didn't mean to upset you..."
He continued to walk down the street as he racked his brain for answers as to how to properly apologize to Double D. His thoughts were cut off when he accidentally bumped into a large figure.
"Oh! My apolo-"
The hulking football player from months before leered down at him.
"Well if it ain't the nerdy little smartass."

Kevin's eyes widened in fear as the boy grabbed him by the sweater.
"I don't believe you got your punishment last time. I guess that means you've won a double ass whooping today."
He struggled to free himself from the strong grasp before his foot planted itself in the player's groin. The boy howled in pain and loosened his grip on him. He took off down the street without any hesitation. The heavy footsteps followed close behind him. The tears returned to his face as he ran for his life.

He was grabbed by his shoulders and pulled into an alleyway. The large boy slung him against one of the brick walls.
"You're really gonna get it now you little bitch!"
His body flew through the air and landed against the opposite wall. He curled into a ball as a foot landed in his stomach.
"HEY!"
He could hear footsteps running towards them. The sounds of a struggle filled the air. He struggled to open his eyes as the sounds disappeared further down the alley. Double D's scream cleared the fog in his mind. He climbed to his feet and looked in the direction of the struggle.

"Eddward!"
"Run!"
A sharp gasp left Kevin's body as he noticed the blood covering Double D's body.
"I'm not leaving you!"
"RUN!"
A large fist landed square in the raven's stomach. He fell to one knee before jumping back up and lunging at the player. Kevin searched the ground for any semblance of a weapon. His hand closed around a sharp blade of glass. He charged at the player as Double D's body rag-dolled to the ground.

"Leave him alone!"