Chapter 22: Letters

Faint sniffling could be heard as the small boy ate his breakfast.
"Wake up ma fraise."
"I am awake Mamìe."
He looked up from his plate and shot a confused glance at the woman standing on the opposite end of the room.
"Mamìe, are you crying?"
The bright rays of the morning sun engulfed just enough of her face so that only her smiling red lips were visible.
"No."
"Then who is?"

She suddenly appeared next to him. His face was gently pressed into her bosom as she held him in a warm embrace.
"Open your eyes, Eddward."

Double D's eyes slowly creaked open. He smiled as he turned his head to the source of the sniffling.
"Why are you crying Pumpkin?"

Kevin opened his mouth to speak but only managed to let out a few choked sobs.
"Shh"
Double D lifted his aching arm and gently wiped away the tears.
"E... Eddward..."
"Stop being such a crybaby."
"This was all my fault! I'm so sorry Eddward..."
The ginger bitterly wiped away the new line of tears streaming down his face.
"Heh, yeah it is. You're lucky you earned yourself a free ass-saving for bandaging my hand. Just know, I'm not saving you from that asshole a third time."
Kevin's lips curved into a forced smile.
"I know."

The raven's hand closed around the collar of his sweater and pulled him close enough for their noses to brush. A soft kiss was placed on his lips before Double D let him go.
"Feel better now?"
He shook his head and tried to hold back more tears as he looked into the injured boy's eyes.
"I...if I were stronger, you wouldn't have had to rescue me..."
Double D pulled him into another kiss.
"Whether you were strong or not, I told you that I would kick some ass if I ever caught anyone touching you. And I meant it."
"Eddward..."
"It's okay."
Double D gave Kevin a comforting smile before
reaching over and gently lifting Kevin's shirt and sweater.
"W-wha-"
"Shh"

Double D's lips instantly fell into a deep frown.
Most of Kevin's torso was covered in a large blue and purple bruise.
"That bastard."
"Eddward, calm down. I swear it's not as bad as it looks."
He winced as Double D's fingers grazed over his stomach. A cold shiver ran down his spine as he watched the icy eyes fill with pure malice.
******************************************

"This tastes like shit."
Double D threw his fork onto his plate and shoved the tray away.
"I know, but you have to eat Eddward."
A sly grin formed on the raven's face.
"Only if you feed me."
Kevin's face turned bright red as he moved to sit on the edge of the hospital bed. Double D's eyes watched him shakily lift a forkful of food to his waiting mouth.
"Why are you blushing, Pumpkin?"
"Erm!"
The ginger shoved the food into his mouth and  quickly turned his gaze to the floor. Double D chuckled and leaned over to whisper in his ear. 
"Stop playing so innocent."
"Um!"

His hand slowly traced the ginger's leg before sliding into his pocket and grabbing his phone.
He frowned as he opened the camera and examined his injuries.
"Fuck."
He angrily grit his teeth as he ran his finger over his blackened eye.
"I'm sorry Eddward..."
"Quit apologizing. It's not your fault."
"But it is."
Double D rolled his eyes and tossed the phone into Kevin's lap.
"What happened to that fuckwad anyway? I don't remember anything after he blindsided me with that headbutt."
"Well um... I kind of...maybe stabbed him..."
Double D's jaw nearly fell to the floor.
"What?!"

"W-well..."
"You stabbed him?!"
"Um...."
"You. Kevin Barr. Stabbed someone?"
"I-I mean... It wasn't really a stab per se. More like... a forceful poke."
The raven haired boy's face conveyed what his words couldn't. A strange mixture of confusion, shock, and a hint of joy was directed towards the shy ginger sitting next to him.
"I-it wasn't as bad as it sounds! It was just a flesh wound to his back. I...I heard you scream and there was blood and...I just... I had to help you. I couldn't let him continue attacking you so I...I..."
Tears welled in Kevin's eyes as he tried to choke out the last sentence.