Chapter 5: Questions

"What is a Soma? Eddward, may I ask why you chose to go to Nazz's party last night?"
The two boys sat working on their assignment in the afternoon sun.
"The cell body of a neuron. And I told you I didn't feel like working on this stupid packet. Next."

"Besides neurons, name an important type of cell in the nervous system. And may I ask what that concoction at the party was?"
Double D rolled on his back and folded his arms behind his head.
"Glial cells. It was only hot chocolate with melted marshmallows soaked in food coloring."

Kevin watched Double D's lips curve into a dark smile.
"And a bit of durian extract to give it an interesting aroma. Next question."
"He finds amusement in such strange things."
"I never took you as the pranking type Eddward."
Double D chuckled softly. "There are a lot of things you wouldn't expect from me Pumpkin. Next question."

Kevin blushed at his new nickname. "Wh-what cell myelinates in the CNS?  Um...where on earth did you get durian extract in that short amount of time?"

"Oligodendrocytes. I already had it in my pocket. I was working on a few experiments before you arrived yesterday. Next."

"Name one function of the amygdala."

Double D studied the redhead that sat beside him in the grass. Their eyes locked for a moment before Kevin turned the other way. Double D tried to resist the urge to reach out and touch him.
"Sexual desire. Next."
He tried to control the tension that was building inside of him by biting his lip.

"That was the final question."
Kevin adjusted his glasses and tucked the packet into his folder.
"I know. I meant what is your next question?"
"U-um what d-do you mean Eddward?"
"Is there not anything else you want to ask me?"
Kevin nervously fidgeted with the spine of the folder.
"U-uh..."
"Nothing?"
Double D sat up and locked eyes with him.
"I have a question for you then."
The ginger's freckles began to blend in with the redness of his cheeks.
"Y-yes?"

The white shirt clashing against Kevin's red skin was pushing Double D over the edge. His eyes traveled from the light pink lips down to the freckled skin on the nape of his neck.
He couldn't control himself any longer. He had the ginger pinned to the ground in one quick motion.

"E-Eddward?"

Kevin's voice brought him back to reality.
"Fuck. Was that really just my imagination?"
"Don't worry about it. Come inside."
He stood up and began walking towards his back door.
"O-okay..." Kevin scrambled to his feet and followed him into the house.

"I suppose I should take my leave since we're finished with this assignment."
"Your clothes aren't finished drying yet. I'll fold them and bring them to your house once they are finished."
Kevin shifted nervously. "We-well, I can stay here until they are done to save you a trip."
Double D's demeanor seemed to change ever so slightly. He gave a small nod and walked into his living room.

"Come here Pumpkin."
Kevin stood in shock for a few moments. He wasn't expecting Double D to let him stay any longer than he had to. His tall shadow suddenly appeared in the doorway. His arms were sternly crossed across his chest.
"Don't make me tell you again."
"O-oh! I apologize Eddward! I wasn't paying attention!"
"Hmph. I can see that."
Double D turned around and led the way into the living room again. He listened as Kevin's footsteps scurried behind him.
"Where are we going Eddward?"
"It's been difficult to work in my lab with a broken finger. You can help me with a few experiments while your clothes dry."